Author Topic: 1969 396 Fan Clutch  (Read 3229 times)

NoYenko

• View Profile
1969 396 Fan Clutch
« on: March 16, 2013, 09:48:14 PM »
I was thinking about having my fan clutch rebuilt but I am not sure if it’s original. I can’t find a date stamp on the water pump flange.
Did they always have a date stamp? And mine is stamped EATON-AC, I don’t know if that means AC installed on the car or if  Eaton- AC companies were merged at that time?
Any idea what the B18D stamp means? I don’t want to remove the original stamps if this is original, I could get a replacement and save this one for shows.
This car was built November 1968, 396-325, with AC. It does have original radiator, shroud, & fan. Any insight would be appreciated, Thanks for your time. George

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
Re: 1969 396 Fan Clutch
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:03:33 PM »
George,
My car is not A/C original so I only have the non clutch 4 blade fan currently in my car. I did find some info for you here:

http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml#fan

•The 3937779 fan had a 2" pitch and was made by Schwitzer. It was used early in the 69 production year (until approximately November of 68) and has the part number and month / year stamped on the fan blades.

So the part number and the date code H 68 on the fan meaning Oct. '68 which I think is correct for your car.

The clutch I am not quite sure about. I looks correct for an Eaton but I thought the Eatons were stamped CZ instead of Eaton-AC or the picture actually appears to be Eaton AG.

I do not know what the number on the bottom of the clutch might mean? Possibly a date code but I am not sure.