Author Topic: Interior parts suppliers  (Read 8481 times)

JKZ27

• View Profile
Interior parts suppliers
« on: March 15, 2013, 04:57:35 PM »
Experienced opinions wanted.
I am considering replacing the interior components in my 68 RS and I'd like some input from those who have some experience with new reproduction parts and upholstery. Primary items I intend to replace are seat upholstery and foam, dash pad, door panels and rear panels, headliner and carpet. So, if anyone cares to share their experience with these products, brand and where they were purchased and wheter you liked or disliked them, I'd appreciate it. I'm just trying to avoid buying known garbage for a car I drive on a regular basis.
Its Ivy Gold standard.

Thanks
John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Interior parts suppliers
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:49:54 PM »
I would consider having AL Knoch do the interior. They do a great job restoring the original dash pad and restored my original door panels and, bucket & rear seats. They (seats) look as great underneath as the top side.
And I think the prices are reasonable....
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »
John I used Legendary Interiors for my seat covers and door panels. The man that did my interior is still telling everybody how good they were. He's been in restoration about 35 years and he said they are the best he's ever seen.  The prices are reasonable too.

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/home.html
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 02:26:42 PM »
Thanks guys! I have planned on doing most of the work myself which would mostly be installing or replacing things. I had not considered sending out my dash or door panels to have restored. I noticed Al Knoch does not show standard gold door panels or dash pad on their site  and Ledgendary only lists "Wllow gold" for 68. Do you know if these guys are making there own superior products or are they just selling the same PUI and OER stuff as most other suppliers? I am currently under the impression they are making their own upholstery and if you send them your pieces, they will professionally install the components listed on their site...I've not called them yet.

Chick, did you send out your dash, door panels and seats?
John

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
Legendary makes all their own products in house. I got the very first set of '69 door panels they released for sale. They wrote me and talked with me on the phone about this. They didn't like the first finished product and I sent them my inside stiffeners/hangers and chrome pieces to get the holes lined up and other details.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

gkweber3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 06:11:52 PM »
I also have great things to say about Legendary - very high quality.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »
I am not meaning to hijack the thread but I have a question and JKZ27 might find the answer useful also. When Al Knoch restores a door panel, what parts of the original door panel remain and what is new. I have a '68 deluxe door panel which is made up of the heavy cardboard backing that has a 2 inch wide metal strip running across the top. I am assuming there is foam between the carboard backing and the vinyl covering.

Dave

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »
I ended up getting all of my upholstery, headliner and door panels from Legendary. I found it all to be very high quality USA made stuff.
I ordered a skinned dash assembly from OER and it looked pretty nice except it was gold like the upholstery and I found that the dash pad in an Ivy gold interior is supposed to be dark green. Also, the lower attatching pins were plastic instead of metal so I returned it. I sent my original to AL Knoch and asked them to match the color and it came back looking like NOS. I guess they strip all the vinyl and foam off the metal frame and re-do everything...very nice and reasonable price.

John
John

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 04:00:11 AM »
I ended up getting all of my upholstery, headliner and door panels from Legendary. I found it all to be very high quality USA made stuff.
I ordered a skinned dash assembly from OER and it looked pretty nice except it was gold like the upholstery and I found that the dash pad in an Ivy gold interior is supposed to be dark green. Also, the lower attatching pins were plastic instead of metal so I returned it. I sent my original to AL Knoch and asked them to match the color and it came back looking like NOS. I guess they strip all the vinyl and foam off the metal frame and re-do everything...very nice and reasonable price.

John
Good selection I too have had great luck with Legendary.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 12:04:05 PM »
Al Knoch restores original dash pads (68) and they look great with correct grain finish and fit due to using the orig. carcass.
If you come to Carlisle's spring, corvette, or fall meet you could make an appointment to have your seats re-upholstered there and/or drop items off and then pick up at next meet.
They restored our original door panels but they are standard.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584