Author Topic: am/fm radio repair  (Read 16648 times)

camaroman1969

• View Profile
Re: am/fm radio repair
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 03:11:23 AM »
Hans L, so is your radio dated February 3RD 1968?? ... Danny

I have no idea where there is a date code on the radio. Curious where it is.

Per the Chevelle Radio Tech site, http://www.chevelles.com/radiotech/69_72tags.html  it decodes as a '69 AM FM and is correct for a Camaro, if I interpet their decoding correctly.   I have not been able to find a site or place that tells where the date code is.  Clearly the ID tag on the restored version is a reproduction tag.   

From the Chevelle Site:

"Example: the correct model number for a 1969 Chevelle AM/FM pushbutton radio is: 91BFP1.

Using the decoding information from above, you might be confused by the "B" in the model number since "B" indicates "B-body" or in other words, a full-sized Chevy. So why is it correct for a Chevelle or mid-size "A-body" ?

The answer is some of the same audio equipment was shared among different Chevrolet vehicle lines. A full-size (or B-body) Chevy such as a 1969 Impala shared the same AM/FM mono radio with such vehicles as the Camaro and the Chevelle. To keep things simple and costs down, B-body radios such as the AM/FMs were often installed in other vehicles. "B" can also be thought of as the "default" radio to be installed when a vehicle line did not have its very own line of radios. In fact, many Chevrolet vehicles "borrowed" B-body audio equipment at different times in production."

Hans L.   What did this guy charge you for the radio resto job???    Don

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 04:17:13 PM »
What did this guy charge you for the radio resto job???    Don

It was very reasonable - in the $200 range.  I can't remember the exact amount.   Feel free to contact him and he'll provide a quote range over the phone.
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

sixt9x33rs

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 03:56:48 AM »
For radio repair I have used Downtown Radio in Charlotte NC. Do great work but they don't restore radios like Hans guy does.
'69 RS Z/28 65B, 711 Flat hood no spoiler, endura, 4:10 43K miles
69 X77 Z/28 69 69 711 Original Paint Unrestored (Sold)
'69 X66 Convertible 69B 712 auto, (Sold) 44K miles