Author Topic: 2009 Camaro is Coming!!!  (Read 17688 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
2009 Camaro is Coming!!!
« on: August 12, 2006, 01:11:35 AM »
It's official.  GM announced that it will be making the Camaro.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/search/content/shared-gen/ap/Finance_General/GM_Camaro.html

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Camaro is Coming!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:40:19 PM »
Just curious what everyone thinks: Is this new version preferable to a more retro '69? I'm not sure I'm crazy about the new modernistic styling. I'm probably just getting old and nostalgic, but I would have definitely had more of an interest in something that looks more like a 69; like the new mustangs that are out. Am I nuts??

Jimmy V
Jimmy V.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:42:34 PM »
As Yogi Berra said "It's deja vu all over again!"
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 09:49:09 PM »
.......and "it ain't over 'til its over."
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

wtexz10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 10:18:39 PM »
Just my 2 cents.  Please make the car look more like the first gen.  I'm sure the concept would be a great runner, but if it is to compete with the Mustang and perhaps the new Challenger, it needs to bring back the nostalgic look of the originals.  The way it looks now, it does not appear to be playing in the same sand box.  :'(

Kris
69 Camaro Z10.. 72 GMC C1500
79 Mazda RX7.. 79 Trans Am WS6
06 Corvette Z06.. 10 BMW 650i

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 09:56:36 AM »
Have to agree with wtexz10, not even close. Actually a major disappontment to me. I don't see anything that remotely reminds me of the 1st, 2nd or even 3rd generation Camaros.

dab67

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 01:02:43 PM »
The way I heard it, Chevrolet started with the retro look, but then decided to pursue this more modernistic approach instead.
I know I was disappointed. The company that brought us the Tri-Fives, Corvette, Camaro, Etc. seems to be gone. There is really nothing Chevrolet makes today that appeals to me. Perhaps others feeling the same would explain the skyrocketing prices on the first generation Camaros? Or it's just baby boomer nostalgia?

Jimmy V
Jimmy V.

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 05:19:31 PM »
I think we all are sharing the same sentiment.  Except for minor styling carry over (69 side fake side louvers, console mounted gages, 68 "looking" instrument cluster), not much else reminds me of the 1st gen.  In my mind, the front end is the weak link.  Back end is a much more pleasing design (to me).

Problem is that those that brought us the tri 5 chevys, 1st gen Camaros, etc are long gone, and a different breed of designer is behind the wheel.  Seems like they are trying to have their cake and eat it too by appealing both to those that grew up with 1st gen Camaros and the current youth market.  They aren't the same. 

It will be interesting to see if they can sell 100,000 Camaros / year.  I personally believe that Chevy is off target much in the same way that Ford was with the revival of the Thunderbird.  It was too new and not enought old.  They learned and took that learning to the Mustang.  Ford has the right idea with the Mustang.  Update it, but definitely have it carry the look of the late '60's.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:23:18 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 06:48:57 PM »
Does anybody know what kind of market research GM did?  What market are they after?

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 08:18:45 PM »
I think we all are sharing the same sentiment.  Except for minor styling carry over (69 side fake side louvers, console mounted gages, 68 "looking" instrument cluster), not much else reminds me of the 1st gen.  In my mind, the front end is the weak link.  Back end is a much more pleasing design (to me).

Problem is that those that brought us the tri 5 chevys, 1st gen Camaros, etc are long gone, and a different breed of designer is behind the wheel.  Seems like they are trying to have their cake and eat it too by appealing both to those that grew up with 1st gen Camaros and the current youth market.  They aren't the same. 

It will be interesting to see if they can sell 100,000 Camaros / year.  I personally believe that Chevy is off target much in the same way that Ford was with the revival of the Thunderbird.  It was too new and not enought old.  They learned and took that learning to the Mustang. Ford has the right idea with the Mustang. Update it, but definitely have it carry the look of the late '60's.

AMEN:
Couldn't have stated it better myself - but I'll try...   
      It's too bad but I think this should be the signal to all (especially after everyone else is obviously able to get it) that the GM we all apparently fondly remember from the late fifties through to the early seventies for styling and sensing what their buying public wanted, is dead and gone.
      Just because we in this forum are generally first generation fans doesn't mean we have a licence to think we know that everyone generally would have preferred a more retro styled Camaro, as many comments in this forum have shown since the concept cars inception - but I do feel we all share the sense that GM doesn't even care about what we think - and so this model will be pushed ahead because 'they think they know us better than we know ourselves - as to just what we need and want'...
       I said it before and will again - this will be a marginally accepted platform which due to GM's inability to listen to their customer and fan input will deal it a premature death. It will be overpriced and optioned to enable only those prospective buyers with very deep pockets the opportunity to experience a true GM high performance car again, Corvette excepted - but how many of us over the years have chosen to buy Camaros even as we lusted for the performance that a Corvete would have provided - just because of price considerations.
      Ford and Chrysler have been able to fell the pulse of their buyers, but GM doesn't apparently even care to try, and this new Camaro will only be another nail in the coffin unfortunately!  IMHO - Randy

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 11:48:17 PM »
Wow!!!!!! Some very heavy heavy stuff from quite a few. Revolution!!!!!!!!!!  Just kidding. A Classic classic example of how GM has or better yet has not done their homework is to look at the GTO!
They had a golden opportunity to leap frog everyone when the re-introduced the "goat" But instead they just filled a void by putting a V8 in something that could not even sell overseas.
Bummer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dab67

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 02:11:10 AM »
On another subject...... how do I get a pic of my car like the thumb nails of others I'm seeing? Tried "downloading my pic" in my profile, bur it didn't seem to work. Maybe my file too large?? What's the secret?

Jimmy V
Jimmy V.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 10:27:11 AM »
jd;

lakeholme is the "guru" of explaining how to post a thumbnail. contact him.

dab67

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 01:35:37 PM »
Jimmy V,

Probabaly your file is too large.  Take it down to 65 x 65 pixels and it should work.  BTW, many car pictures are wider than they are tall.  So, it may have to be smaller than 65 X 65 to work (look right).  For example, mine turned out 63 X 47 --for it to look like I wanted.

Good luck!