Author Topic: special paint code on 69 camaros  (Read 9902 times)

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
special paint code on 69 camaros
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:23:41 AM »
A guy is selling a 69 Camaro... claiming it is a Z 28 because...."Tuxedo black car with special paint code means Z with stripe delete. Is this true?
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: special paint code on 69 camaros
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 01:38:03 AM »
Paint has nothing to do with the Z28. Special paint cars can be anything from plain Jane 6 cylinder fleet cars on up. Post a picture of the VIN and the Trim Tag and we may be able to tell you more.

If it has the original engine, get a picture of the pad as well.

Ed

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:43:31 AM »
 Vin is 124379L523210, posted trim tag is for L A  car no motor or trans. Ebay post # is 151020366465. He claims this is his proof it's a Z28...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:05:19 AM by VINCE Z28 »
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:27:22 AM »
Here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-camaro-true-z28-project-disc-brakes-3-73-12-bolt-posi-special-paint-code-/151020366465?ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=151020366465&_rdc=1&forcev4exp=true

Seller's description from the listing...

"What you see is what you get it is very rough the main body was sanded down and left outside to sit. The car was never repainted the last title says 65,000miles from 1980, it has quick ratio power steering factory dual exhaust frame hanger disc brakes up front and 12 bolt bu code 3.73 posi with original fill tag still on it and the build date is jan 69 and the car was assembled feb,69 and i believe is original only 1 of the original 4 leaf z28 only leaf springs came with the car when i got it, and it is included 5 leafs are under the car now. This is an l.a. Car so no x code, however this car is a factory tuxedo black car special ordered with stripe delete hence the - - paint code. And custom red interior all tinted glass in good shape minus windshield car also has plug in Saginaw Speedo cable side. And vin match on firewall and cowl . The cowl and firewall are solid the rear floors rockers and frame rails are solid also. Everything else needs attention this car has all the proof it is an original z28 and if you want a very rare project that has a beautiful color combo here it is. Clean oregon title from 1980 included. 3 front seats originals and one extra nice gm gas tank and straps driveshaft tail lights very straight fenders, gm and very straight gm doors with no rust, original top of console with no breaks upper rear seat in good shape. Roof skin has pitting and top of quaters and filler panel. The trunk floor has small hole and both front floor pans have good size holes, the dash panel is better than some but will need replaced. Cant find one cheaper thats why i bought it however i was promised a lot of parts a dz short block and the broadcast / build sheet and i never got that stuff so im just sick of looking at it. If you aren't interested in buying the car please keep questions and comments to yourself or your friends on the forums IM here to sell the car and that's all, thank you for looking."

Paul

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »
The "- -" on the trim tag could also mean a special orderd color not just "Stripe Delete". I don't think tuxedo black was one of the standard colors in early 69 and you had to special order it. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge could chime in and let us know what part of the production year tuxedo black became standard.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 04:55:53 PM »
Black, Champagne, and Butternut Yellow were initially listed as RPO colors in early 1969 Chevrolet marketing materials, then dropped. They built a few cars in those colors and they are not designated special paint. Later in the model year they returned as "special order" colors essentially meaning they were extra cost; $12.65 I believe. Later cars in those colors are also not designated special paint.

The car in question is a later build and likely - - PNT because of stripe delete; the cowl area does not appear to have been trimmed in white. It would make for a really rare, sharp Z/28 but it would be quite a project.
Learning more and more about less and less...

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »
William,

Do you have any time frame (Month) as to when those ROP colors were dropped?
Rick
69 RS/Z28

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:40:49 PM »
It appears they were never really released as they were initially noted "check availability." They are not mentioned on later revs. By January 2, 1969 they are listed with the optional equipment but are not on the standard paint chart.
Learning more and more about less and less...

HOT3O2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 12:04:42 AM »
Thanks William,

I appreciate the reply. It's nice getting some insight on this.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »
-- could also be stripe delete on an SS. I'm not seeing the Z/28 proof. I could be missing something, wouldn't be the first time.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 01:18:33 PM »
-- could also be stripe delete on an SS. I'm not seeing the Z/28 proof. I could be missing something, wouldn't be the first time.

I'm missing the same thing you are. What is there to make this a Z/28? No engine, transmission, and a BU axle that could be from anything. The 4 leaf spring could have come from a junk yard and that's what he's using for proof? Nope that dog won't hunt !!
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP