Author Topic: Trim code  (Read 11563 times)

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Trim code
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 12:44:21 PM »
Yes, once the tag was actually attached to the firewall of a tub, the car was built, all its parts and peices were on hand in the plant and the car was built, once a body started down the line it was not pulled off to wait for something to arrive at the factory, no one could contact the plant to make a change to the order.  The things people miss in the production of these cars is that the tags were made up as the orders came in and the bodies were preliminarily scheduled, parts were ordered and the tags were placed in groups that roughly equaled a days production.  This all happened several days to a week prior to the actual start of the build.  The plant could then make minor changes to when an actual car would be built, based on things like how many convertibles were in that days group as you couldn't have 2 convertibles coming down the line together as it would overload the trim shop - typical spacing is about 12 to 15 bodies, vinyl tops has a gap of about 5 to 7 bodies.  LA had different concerns as they were building multiple lines of cars at the same time.  If a part necessary for a particular car to be built was delayed in shipping, the tag for that body was pulled from its original position and put into another group scheduled to be built after that part arrived.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Frosty69

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 06:37:06 AM »
My 69 has 01C  and I120. Production date on the broadcast sheet is Jan 15th.  January 1st  was a Wednesday so the 01C matches if you count the partial week as week 1. The first Monday was the 6th so if I am understanding correct this would be the A day, Tuesday the 7th the B day and so on. If that is the case and assuming a 5 day work week then the 15th would be H? Does that mean an extra day was worked between the 6th and 15th? How does this match up with the 01D U462 from the original post?

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »
I see a lag from the 8th day (H) and the UOIT printed date (04-13-67) of 5 days so this gives credence to the CRG article, if I understand it correctly.
What I do find interesting is the printed UOIT date comes after the stamped cowl tag date. I would have thought the UOIT would be dated before the tag was stamped to indicate the options to prepare the body for but it is looking like the UOIT was printed after the cowl tag was stamped (and with the options).

There is a five day difference between my TT and UIOT also. And the TT is dated earlier. I was under the impression that the TT was made from the information on the UIOT. So does that mean that the UOIT was predicting the actual build date?

anything