Author Topic: 69 Dash Grab Handle Conversion Question  (Read 13676 times)

69Z28freak

• View Profile
69 Dash Grab Handle Conversion Question
« on: March 12, 2013, 04:07:04 AM »
I am converting my standard dash to a grab handle dash. I have the black plastic piece that mounts to the dash that the handle attaches to, however I would like to know the following. My interior is 715 Dark Blue standard. Should the plastic backing piece be black or blue and what colour should the grab handle be. I have not seen a picture of a standard blue interior with a grab handle before.

Thanks
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 Dash Grab Handle Conversion Question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:10:18 PM »
I am converting my standard dash to a grab handle dash. I have the black plastic piece that mounts to the dash that the handle attaches to, however I would like to know the following. My interior is 715 Dark Blue standard. Should the plastic backing piece be black or blue and what colour should the grab handle be. I have not seen a picture of a standard blue interior with a grab handle before.

Thanks

The backing plate is black plastic, and the handle is interior trim color.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Azure1969Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »
My 69 has ivory/black interior of coarse the grab bar is black
However I have a grab bar that I removed from a dark green standard interior (TR 723) car 30 years ago it also is black so was the plastic plate. pretty sure it was original

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:31:18 AM »

Thanks

Thanks John. I was told the handle should be black. Great to have the right info.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »

Thanks

Thanks John. I was told the handle should be black. Great to have the right info.

If you look in the Assembly Manual (section Z87, sheet A1), you'll see item #10 (the plastic plate) shown as P/N 3939692; that's one color (black) for all usages. Then look at item #9 (the handle), and it shows as P/N 3925430 "chart", which says it was furnished in interior trim colors.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Frosty69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 08:03:43 PM »
The dash handle in my 69 is black and I have every reason to believe it is original. The interior was the medium green deluxe and a Van Nuys car built in Jan 69, not sure if either of those things make a difference.

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 04:38:26 AM »

Thanks

If you look in the Assembly Manual (section Z87, sheet A1), you'll see item #10 (the plastic plate) shown as P/N 3939692; that's one color (black) for all usages. Then look at item #9 (the handle), and it shows as P/N 3925430 "chart", which says it was furnished in interior trim colors.

Thanks John I will check it out
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 04:39:40 AM »
The dash handle in my 69 is black and I have every reason to believe it is original. The interior was the medium green deluxe and a Van Nuys car built in Jan 69, not sure if either of those things make a difference.

Very interesting. Someone else at Team Camaro had a similar interior and said their grab handle was black also.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »
My all-original/untouched 02D Norwood Z/28 has the Midnight Green deluxe interior, and the grab handle is clearly midnight green, not black.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
My 720 orange houndstooth deluxe interior handle is black.  Obviously some colors just don't lend themselves to being used on the handle.  I'd be surprised if there was more than a few color handles listed on htat chart.  Most interiors would be black, Johns is obviously dark green, maybe there is a dark blue out there, but thats probably it.  No whites, no yellows, no oranges.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
My all-original/untouched 02D Norwood Z/28 has the Midnight Green deluxe interior, and the grab handle is clearly midnight green, not black.

Thanks John. Love your car. A fine example of an original car. I always look forward to your car and knowledge as a great reference.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

Frosty69

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 07:45:46 AM »

Thanks for the info, I learn something new every day. I think this topic was posted in Team Camaro and I replied there before seeing this info. As I said there I'm happy to be corrected.

Could the handles on cars with medium green interiors come in black or is mine not original/wrong? The handles in the dark colors look good but I'm not sure the lighter green falls into that category.

woodsman1172

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 10:34:30 AM »
I have a one-owner LA-built car with the Z23 interior option, but not the full Z87 deluxe interior. The car has a dark blue interior, and the grab handle is black. No question that it is original. I've also been around enough to know that when JohnZ makes a statement, it is based on first-hand knowledge..... So as well as what Mark suggested, is there a chance these discrepancies are between NOR and VN/LOS assembled cars, or even maybe between Z23 and Z87?

Frosty69

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 01:53:58 PM »
For what it is worth my car came with the Z87 interior option. My dad purchased the car in '86 from a theft recovery auction and we have confirmed it only had one prior owner. Every indication is the interior was original except for the recovered seats, the steering column that was stolen and the radio. After sitting for almost 20 years we finally took the plunge and she is now sporting the original frost green color and a refreshed interior in the midnight green. This forum has been such a valuable tool and learning about the little details like this has become a second hobby. My car is not all original and several things are no longer "correct" but I love knowing what is and what is not.

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 02:37:41 PM »
I have several deluxe interior cars and all have black grab bars. One car, ivory houndstooth, orange houndstooth and blue comfort weave. Quite honestly its not something I've spent time researching, although I have many pictures of unrestored cars that we have certified through Vintage Certification program. At this point I will only provide firsthand examples and then based on the data make a opinion. Below is a picture of my 24k mile survivor and my orig interior 37K mile black rs/z.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

anything