Author Topic: Parking Lights will not turn off  (Read 6301 times)

gkweber3

• View Profile
Parking Lights will not turn off
« on: February 23, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »
I have just replaced my wiring harnesses. Now, my parking lights will not turn off. I have check the ground on the driver side radiator core and at the instrument cluster. I thought the switch must be bad, so I just replaced it - no difference. Any one run into this?

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
Re: Parking Lights will not turn off
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 11:49:05 PM »
Brown wire in switch connector in the wrong place.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 02:40:37 PM »
No doubt it must be a ground issue. I had a problem with my interior lights like this. It would be simple you would think but I never actually found it. I got frustrated and started going over all the wires. When I finished my ground check I put the battery cable back on and they were working. So if I were you start checking every connection.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:57:01 AM »
Someone here had this similar problem last year and it turned out to be a misplaced wire in the front harness when he did some wire work.
Try doing a search and you should be able to find that thread.
 Good luck!

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 02:36:52 AM »
Do you have the AIM?  Good wiring diagram in there.

I would guess that one of your dark brown wires is gettiing juice from where it shouldn't.  Done any work on the fuse block?
Are the side marker lights also on?

It isn't a ground problem.  Lack of ground won't get power to the brown wire.

gkweber3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:59:45 PM »
Mike and Lynn - thanks for the suggestions.

Mike - I have done some searching under every related topic I can think of, but cannot find the string on the misplaced wire. Any other thougths?

Lynn, The side markers are also on. I have the AIM and am looking at it. I replaced all the harnesses (for big $ to boot) with American Wire harnesses. Everything appeared to be high quality, but either I crossed a wire somewhere or the harness has a problem. Unfortunately, I had reassembled almost everything on the car before finding this problem.

I have searched to find a picture of an original RS switch connector to see if the harness pins are the same as the American Wire connector......but so far, no luck here either.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »
Did you save your old wire harness?

gkweber3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »
I think so  - haven't found it yet - think it might be at the storage shed across town.

Rick68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 04:15:15 AM »
In the AIM wiring diagram it shows the plug for the headlight switch and which wires go to it.Just match up the shape of your plug to the diagram and you should figure out if the wires are in the right spot.I was wondering?If you unplug the headlight switch do the parking lights still stay on?If they do then it is has nothing to do with the switch but but some kind of short somewhere.

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 04:30:51 AM »

Can you unplug the giant two piece connector from the firewall?  If so, disconnect the batt first.
After you unplug it, find the large (12g.)  red wire.  It goes to the one series 56 spade connector that is larger than all the others in the multiplug.  
Check to see if you have continuity between the two brown wires that that terminate at the spade connector with a "U" under it.   If you have continuity, then the problem is in the front end harness.  If no continuity, then check to see if there is continuity between the large terminal and the one right next to it (also brown wire).  If there is continuity,  the problem is in the front end harness.
If you do not have continuity in either of those then the problem is under the dash, or in the rear harness.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 11:11:52 AM »
What year car are we talking about?  Heres a 68 switch wiring diagram.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

gkweber3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 01:11:43 PM »
Mark, this appears to be an ignition switch - do you happen to have this for a 68 Light Switch? Thanks!