Author Topic: Mirror mounting holes  (Read 3451 times)

NoYenko

• View Profile
Mirror mounting holes
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
I just noticed my left door has an extra screw hole for mounting the mirror I need to weld up. But there is another screw hole towards the back. Is this a factory hole used for a remote mirror or should we weld that up also. Did all doors have the large hole punched for a remote mirror? Thanks. George

Stingr69

• View Profile
Re: Mirror mounting holes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 10:49:01 PM »
The remote mirror uses the same factory holes as the standard mirror. The non-reinforced holes are aftermarket mirror holes.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 02:46:03 PM »
Stingr69,Thank you. So you are saying that rear hole should not be there, it is a countersunk hole that goes into the reinforcement like the 2 forward of the large hole.
Problem is I can't find a picture of a door with correct holes, I don't have a mirror bracket, and it will be painted soon.
Do you think this car could have had a remote mirror? Does anyone have a picture of original mirror holes? Thanks.  George.

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
 NO,
I can't post a picture but I have a 68 with the same large hole. Deluxe interior? The gasket will cover the hole.
    VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:45:20 PM »
The 2 holes you question in the photo are both aftermarket modifications. The 3 holes in the middle are factory.

You would need the interior door panels to tell if it had a remote mirror.  Even then, it is not proof. The interior panels could have come from another car. The adjustment knob hole (and bezel) would have been installed in the interior panel.  Custom interior uses a different bezel than the standard interior.

All of the door skins would have the same hole setup.

-Mark.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
Mark,( All of the door skins would have the same hole setup.) Thanks guys that is the answers I needed. It is an original door & I think interior door panel without remote mirror hole. That's good I like the look of the standard mirrors. George