Author Topic: Introducing myself : Yotah1 aka Anthony  (Read 7256 times)

yotah1

• View Profile
    • Anthonycolard.net
Introducing myself : Yotah1 aka Anthony
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »
Hi all!

I thought I would create a topic to introduce myself, an easy way to get a hang onto who I am and who's who in here :)

My name's Anthony, I'm 26 currently, french, living in Germany (Frankfurt to be precise) but might move in the near future for a new job. I'm a car designer, been one for the best of three years now and quite loving it. I was working for GM for the past 2 years, mostly Opel vehicles.

Car history :
being french, I currently drive a Renault Twingo RS (my avatar picture) which is a very fun car to push to the limits on the track, especially the Nürburgring :)
Before that I had the first gen Twingo, much less fun to drive, but cheap so a good first car for a student.
And in between I've owned briefly a 1982 Camaro Z28 350ci, looked good but ran like crap because of the fuel injection system :( I had to sell when i changed of job, and moved out of UK. I would have loved to have the time and money to bring it back to proper running condition especially as it had all the good options with a nice white interior with buckets, Cragar chromed wheels, wide mean looking rubbers and power discs and all.

Here are a couple pics of the main two cars (I won't show the first gen Twingo, as honestly I don't think anybody cares much about it here :D )

On the more recent news, i mostly registered here to gather informations and advices for a 1968 Camaro project. Being outside of USA, it's not very easy to get infos and feedback on the cars and the upgrades, so it's always good to go ask the guys who live where the action happens :D
With a friend, we start this year an oldtimer racecar project. The intention is to get our hands on a sheel of a 68 Camaro coupe and restore / upgrade it to race it. I've already been extensively through the Trans Am section of the forum and gathered quite a nice amount of useful data.
We are currently investigating what will be the mods that we will do to the base car to follow either the era Trans Am specs or follow what the germans are asking for oldtimer races (rules are a bit different on the two continents).

As of now, the plan is to get a shell, sandblast it, see what body work needs to be done, and learn as we go. It will be fitted with a carburator 350ci engine, 4 disc brakes with 4 pot calipers (but I saw on some of the Sunoco cars pictured online that they had 6 pistons in the front, though I can't find any info on these anywhere :( ), full race cage, modern fuel cell for FIA regulations, very possibly Kirkey race buckets to keep the look of the Trans Am bucket seats from late 60's early 70's, 12 bolt rear diff and the transmission has to be decided according to regulations (and also because I'm not sure about what they were using, I haven't put my nose too much into the transmissions yet). Muncie or Jerico 4 speed, don't know which way we'll go yet, and I don't know exactly what are the differences either, so it requires more research.

Wheels and tires will be determined by the german oldtimer championship rules, no other way with that.

The shocks will probably be Konis as it's what was apparently fitted at the time on the race cars.

Then up to the actual main questions : the size of the wheels used in Trans AM cars (15"x8"?), where do the 6 pot calipers come from on the Sunoco cars, how low can the car be dropped (i've seen mostly 2" inch drop kits, don't know if it gets close to the race cars setup or not), and last but not least, the race cars seem to have widened fenders to accomodate the big slicks, i guess this was done manually from stock fenders?

I had a bit of fun a week ago modelling quickly a Camaro overnight and giving it what could be our paintjob. Keeps the motiviation up and gives us a goal!

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Introducing myself : Yotah1 aka Anthony
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »
Welcome to the site Anthony. I moved your thread from site comments to general discussion since you'll most likely get more hits here.

By the way, congrats on the decision to go with the BEST year for the 1st generation Camaro!!!

;D

Ed

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 06:06:52 PM »
By the way, congrats on the decision to go with the BEST year for the 1st generation Camaro!!!

I second that!   ;D

Paul

yotah1

• View Profile
    • Anthonycolard.net
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »
Thanks Ed for the move, I was wondering where it went when I came back to check for comments :D

Regarding the Camaro's year, well to be honest i was surprised to find a car like that in UK, and it was cheap, so i didn't look much into the year at all. And I sold it for the same money, so no loss.
But one thing I've learnt for sure : never buy a car which has a "first" on it... GM clearly didn't manage well the fuel injection at that time ahahah

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »
Bienvenue à CRG. On dirait que vous avez l'intention d'un grand Camaro 1968.
Et c'est la limite de mon français ...  ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

yotah1

• View Profile
    • Anthonycolard.net
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »
ahah thanks for the welcome, and for the french :D

Yep we've wanted to get a muscle car for a while and the Camaro appears as the best choice to go racing without spending 100K for restoring and racing parts. It actually proves to be quite cheap for a race car project (the good thing being we need no interior, and a lot of extras are not useful either for a racecar).

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 08:30:14 PM »
Welcome Anthony and you have quite a mock-up of your car. As for a year to race go ahead and beat on them ole '68's as we like to keep the best year ('69) for all the shows.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
As for a year to race go ahead and beat on them ole '68's as we like to keep the best year ('69) for all the shows.

Daniel,

What's that old adage?  Oh yeah, "All show and no go!"   ;)

Paul

yotah1

• View Profile
    • Anthonycolard.net
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »
Hihi, well I had a look through the 3 years and 68 shows to be the smartest choice. 69 has a very different body (and looks more "heavy" compared to the 67-68 round wheelarches, that i prefer), also the cars got heavier in 68, and more in 69. But 68 is a good "middle choice" as it shares parts with the 67 generation, but also has stuff that was carried on in 69, so that gives a wider stock of options to choose from.

And they don't have such a high value like the 69 cars, which is good for our budget :)

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:16:26 PM »
And they don't have such a high value like the 69 cars, which is good for our budget :)

You were saying...  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Z-28-/281061420544?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

;D

Paul

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 02:59:42 AM »

You were saying...  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Z-28-/281061420544?_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

;D

Paul

A bargain for 347,000 euros for a 68!  ::)
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 03:45:12 AM »
As for a year to race go ahead and beat on them ole '68's as we like to keep the best year ('69) for all the shows.

Daniel,

What's that old adage?  Oh yeah, "All show and no go!"   ;)

Paul

Hey Paul I still have the console lid with all the cracks in it from all the girls sitting on it. I'll take a little show instead of all go every once in a while.  ;D  And as Anthony said the '69 is so expensive with some of  the parts being one year only.
Daniel  

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 04:27:17 AM »

Hey Paul I still have the console lid with all the cracks in it from all the girls sitting on it.

Daniel,

I see your point; everyone has different taste.  For example, your above comments tell me you like '69 Camaros and heavy women!

;D   :D   ;D

Paul

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 04:40:37 AM »

Hey Paul I still have the console lid with all the cracks in it from all the girls sitting on it.

Daniel,

I see your point; everyone has different taste.  For example, your above comments tell me you like '69 Camaros and heavy women!

;D   :D   ;D

Paul
[/quote]

I think this one might wonder off into places we don't need to go into on this forum so I'll give you that one Paul !!  And yes I do love my '69 !!!
Daniel  

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 07:59:31 AM »
Thanks, Daniel!  I only joke around with friends.

Paul

anything