Author Topic: NCIB  (Read 18952 times)

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: NCIB
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 05:07:34 PM »
In some states if you have a shop that repairs autos you can get a NICB under a certain set of circumstances.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

GI JOE

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 10:35:13 PM »
« Reply #14 on: Today at 12:22:27 AM »
There was a time when your friendly detective, police officer, law enforcement official could access some type of record from NICB. Today I think it requires a case assignment/number and any officer or other found trying to access the stuff without proper authorization faces severe penalties.

I can concur and can personally testify that is the case that rsinor states above. 

Back in the 90's I had a job working in the Traffic division as an engineer.  Of course I became friends with several of the police officers I worked with and some how one day one of them was talking with me about finding the original owner etc.,etc.. and he ran the VIN for that car for me. If I remember correctly it only provided me the dealership where the car was delivered.    :-\

Well fast-forward 20+ years and I have several very good friends through out the states who serve on both fronts, as a police officer and as soldiers.  I have asked a few of them only to end up with Sorry Joe we can't... it putts our jobs at risk, ...its not worth it...etc...etc..

So if you can get that done you really know a VIP somebody and owe them a huge favor...  needless to say I began to realize that I was not just asking for a simple check the numbers... I felt bad about even asking my buddies...  so that is why I can concur... 

but personally even though we probably can't ever go back to those days of innocence ... I feel that everywhere you turn there is  Chicken Little "the sky is falling' cry...IMHO that results in over kill and craziness... sigh.. 

I was thinking... (watch out, dangerous shaky stuff ) LOL ;D    Could there be some discussion and investigation of the possibilities of having CRG approach them from a business point of view?

SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

69LM1

• View Profile
    • http://www.69lm1.com
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 03:35:06 AM »
I have gotten an nicb, and the print out as well. I had a copy up for reference, and almost had a deal done with car fax and the agency that runs that portion of nicb. I was even to the point of working with them to set pricing and made the mistake of posting on a car site for opinions on pricing (not this site) and the nicb actually got a call complaining.

They shut me and the carfax deal down quicker than you can blink.

The cop did indeed get in trouble.

Fwiw, not only does my paperwork detail delivering dealer, there is also a horsepower line on the form!

RichP
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
69 COPO Camaro "Tin Soldier"
70 Z28 COPO
69 Camaro 307. Orig car from High School

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
Fwiw, not only does my paperwork detail delivering dealer, there is also a horsepower line on the form!

RichP

However, the horsepower number is taken from the MSO, and is "Taxable Horsepower", not actual horsepower; taxable hp is strictly a function of bore size, and is between 40 and 50.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

69LM1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 02:05:39 AM »
Mine was blank on that line. Bummer. Would be awesome info to get. Really wish someone would be able to make this happen, but as has been said, it looks like they are not only not interested, but openly hostile to the idea of releasing this information.

RichP
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
70 Z28 COPO

Rick68

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 03:30:47 AM »
Would your own insurance agent be able to gain access to NICB records?

69LM1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
Not that i know of. Only a leo that is in traffic, and a supervisor at that. Like has been been said, they have to enter a case number as well.

What was crazy for me was that my car was actually stolen at one time!

We thought mine might have been a baldwin motion, it came back as curry chevrolet not far from motion. So, they do help in that regard.

Its actually a 3rd party, iso, that runs the computer database mining for nicb, they are the ones that we "almost" had access via their agreement with nicb, bringing in carfax as a partner. My computer company was going to write the app between iso and carfax. Once nicb got wind of the complaint, they quickly put the kabash on iso, who then cut off the deal with carfax.

When i get a min ill post the info to iso in case someone in the future can make something happen.

Rich
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
70 Z28 COPO

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 01:59:26 PM »
So, these reports I see you can buy based on your supplied VIN don't include data as mention in this discussion?
For $6 dollars I was tempted to buy a report for my VIN but was curious if it was worth the money.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

bergy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 02:05:23 PM »
It will tell you the REPORTED damage/theft history of your car.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 02:45:30 PM »
So, these reports I see you can buy based on your supplied VIN don't include data as mention in this discussion?
For $6 dollars I was tempted to buy a report for my VIN but was curious if it was worth the money.

It will tell you the REPORTED damage/theft history of your car.

Which is basically the same thing you can get for free HERE.

Ed

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 02:53:45 PM »
Hi Ed,

If it's free then I can afford it  ;)
I had seen that URL before and all it provided was that my VIN was neither a total loss or listed in any theft records.
I was more curious of it's history of previous owners beyond those I know of now.

Thanks,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

rsinor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 03:08:26 PM »
Hi Ed,

If it's free then I can afford it  ;)
Mike

Not trying to hijack this thread but, speaking of for free!

We thought mine might have been a baldwin motion, it came back as curry chevrolet not far from motion. So, they do help in that regard.
Rich

It is my understanding Joel Rosen can tell you if your car was Motion car or not for a slightly more than for free figure.
It is also my understanding that not all Motion cars were Baldwin-Motion, in other words he would convert a car you purchased at another dealership???

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 04:36:39 PM »
Correct. Cars would sometimes come from all over the country to be modified.
I recall one a 69 came out of TN in 74 to be modified. Making it a Day 1500 or so car. :)
Kurt S
CRG

69LM1

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »
The domain for the ISO company is

http://www.iso.com . maybe someone can see if they can make anything happen.

Yes, we know about Joel. He was paid the fee, and would not give a written letter either way (yes or no) all we got for the fee was a verbal "maybe". This was previous to the NICB report. I would have been ok with a no letter, but he refused and still refuses to put in writing either way (or even put the maybe in writing).

Now that I know for sure the car was intended to be delivered to Curry, it is probably a day 2 or Curry brought to Motion car. Not to hijack the thread. Jerry's looked at the car and certified it for the X66D80 portion and some of the cool items on it. Ill post more when it's done.

Back to NICB, I was excited to have gotten as far as I did. If anyone takes a crack at it I would be more than happy to share the contacts that I made as well as the carfax contacts I had at that time (a few years ago).

Initially, car fax was very interested as this fit well into their business model. Once NICB sent a cease and desist order though, everyone got real interested in letting this drop. :)

RichP
Rich Pern
2012 Mustang Boss 302
70 Z28 COPO

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 01:34:28 AM »
Would your own insurance agent be able to gain access to NICB records?
Yes and no. Underwriters for the major insurance companies feed data to NICB and have access to the database, but the average retail agent does not have access.  And again if your vehicle did not produce any records on the government site, it is not in the NICB database to begin with.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

anything