Author Topic: powerglide to TH350 conversion question  (Read 2107 times)

mikefam

• View Profile
powerglide to TH350 conversion question
« on: February 08, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »

I recently replaced my powerglide transmission with a TH350 and have a question concerning the horse shoe/staple floor shifter. The shifter is adjusted and works with one exception, when I pull the shifter into low the tranny  lever reaches the end of it's travel and the car shifts into low before the shifter reaches the low gear detent. In other words, the shifter travel is too long for the transmission lever travel.

So my question is how to correct this and make the transmission lever travel match the travel in the shifter. Is there a longer lever/arm that I can put on the transmission shift shaft? Do I need to change the shifter detent?

I have searched the forums here and can't find a solution to my problem. I have read that GM used the stock horse shoe shifter with both transmissions and that it should work with both the PG and the TH350 without altering it.

I'm sure that this conversion has been done many times and would appreciate any help that you guys can offer.

Mike.

68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: powerglide to TH350 conversion question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 03:38:17 PM »
The horseshoe shifter is the same, but everything at the transmission end of the cable is completely different on the M38 (brackets, levers, etc.). Are you using the parts at the transmission end as shown in the M38 section of the Assembly Manual?
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything