Author Topic: Can This be correct ? Cast date vs production date  (Read 2581 times)

Ramjett54

• Decatur Alabama
    • View Profile
Can This be correct ? Cast date vs production date
« on: January 22, 2013, 09:33:16 PM »
This block has been on craigslist and ebay for a while now, Its a k/29/7  cast date...VO15MO or April 15 production date
November to April how does that happen? Most blocks are cast and stamped in less than a week and some even on the same day
BTW the vin is 18N419039

Ramjett54

• Decatur Alabama
    • View Profile
Re: Can This be correct ? Cast date vs production date
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 10:31:38 PM »
Thanks Paul
Yeah but the question is... Is about the time between casting and production if its legit how does it happen that a block lays around for 4 or 5 months before use. I have read about blocks falling off the belt and would not be retrieved until the belt was shut down for holidays or maintenance, I have also seen post that referred to blocks that needed repair before production but 4 or 5 months still seems out of line considering most blocks were used within 2 or 3 day of casting. 

bergy

• View Profile
Re: Can This be correct ? Cast date vs production date
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »
I don't know about this particular block, but it's kinda surprising that we don't see more of of these big gaps between cast dates and block assembly dates.  Unmachined castings that were placed in inventory at the metal casting plants were "first in - last out".  Digging them out of inventory was particularly problematic in the cold weather months.

anything