Author Topic: Restoring clean original trunk, touch up or strip it???  (Read 16196 times)

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
Restoring clean original trunk, touch up or strip it???
« on: August 08, 2006, 12:12:38 AM »
What do you restorers think, would you leave it as is, touch this up, or strip it?
Any rust you see is wipe off variety
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 01:06:30 AM by GS STAGE 1 »

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
Re: Restoring clean original trunk, touch up or strip it???
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:13:52 AM »
2nd

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:14:45 AM »
3rd

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 12:15:47 AM »
4th

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 08:02:50 PM »
depends on what your doing with the car - -to start, id clean it up real good, you might be surprised as the result....looks pretty good to me...
Eddie  Montini

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 05:09:42 AM »
Outstanding original trunk--I'm jealous! If you decide to strip it, Auto Zone carburetor cleaner will melt the spatter paint so you can easily scrape it off with a putty knife. There is some chemical in the Auto Zone stuff that no other carburetor cleaner has--it'll even blister regular paint. You guys probably know better ways than me, but it worked on my '68. My 2 cents.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 01:54:35 PM »
Thanks guys.......... I was real lucky the owner pulled the plugs on this trunk, before leaving it in a field for 30yrs ::)
I probably didn't need to ask this question. I know when I go look at musclecar for sale, what really draws me in, is finding a car thats basically untouched, i.e....original paint, original torn seats, console that needs refinished, etc. At least you know what you got, with no hidden surprise's.

I guess I'm just torn, on whether to leave the trunk and underside of the car alone, or just media blast the whole thing. Obviously I'm going to have to strip the outside of the car of paint. It would be simple if this were a RS SS, Z-28, or a Copo, the body would be getting acid dipped right now, but this is just a base camaro. I just dont know where to go with this thing..........Excuse me, I need to go beat my head against the wall.

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 07:21:37 PM »
I think, if your going to redo the car - then you should do the trunk - people will say, u spent all the money to redo the car but did not finish the trunk???  I would take a lot of pics of the original looks, and with little effort, reshoot the inside...JMO
Eddie  Montini

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 01:57:51 AM »
If you were talking about "rattle canning" the engine compartment, I might say think twice.  Getting too quick with the spray can could coverup some original info. there.  But the trunk is a must do.  Enio45 is right.  In fact, lots of folks go straight to the trunk (looking for rust) when they first size up a car.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 02:22:43 AM »
Thanks enio45 & lakeholme for your input. I believe I'll do just that, spray can the whole car, afterall it is a base camaro...............joking.......lol  ;D

No, I really appreciate your thoughts. I think I'm going to start tearing it apart and do the full resto thing. :)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 01:53:55 PM »
Keep us all updated on your progress.  I've learned more from other people's questions (and mistakes!) than my own.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 03:31:21 PM »
Oh, I will.
Hopefully I wont bore the masses to nausea (sp?) with all my questions

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 11:56:11 AM »
...funny I just saw your other post with the blackplate.

I don't know how bad your car is (rust wise), ...but the trunk looks pretty darn good. (I know you have some issues on the dash), ...but what are your plans with the car?  ...the answer to that would be the basis on what to do.

Ironically, my '67 is in a similar 'boat' in that I want to make it more  'presentable', ...it needs paint, ...but I don't want to lose the originality in areas such as the trunk, ...underneath, etc.
   For now, ...I'm just going to clean,  ...and then drive it. Eventually paint will be in the future, ...but the trunk and undercarriage will remain as is. You can always detail that stuff down the road if you decide cleaning wasn't enough...

GS STAGE 1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 03:33:10 PM »
Well, I think enio45 makes a good point.
I have almost everything to do a full resto right now. As it sits, the only thing that wont be original GM is the front fenders and the cowl hood, oh...... and the dash panel.
I had already planned on an outer restoration, detailed suspension, firewall and trunk tune-up, but in reality, its not much more to just do the full monty on the car. And afterall, I can take plenty of photo's to validate how clean the car was to start with. :)

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 05:19:24 AM »
I wouldn't do the trunk. From what I've seen, that car is too clean. Everyone has a restored car. You can have real nice looking, mostly original car. Just shoot the outside and clean up what needs cleaned.

And you probably can't get splatter paint to ever look that nice. The repro stuff doesn't look the same...
Kurt S
CRG

anything