Author Topic: ZL1 Racecars  (Read 5597 times)

ScottRacingServices

• View Profile
ZL1 Racecars
« on: January 17, 2013, 05:25:50 PM »
I need some assistance please. 

I have searched the forum and picked up quite a few bits of information relating to 1969 ZL1 racecars like the Don Yenko and Bob Jane cars.  At the moment, my company has a X33 Z28 with a ZL1 engine which we race in Europe. 

We are in the throes of gaining FIA papers for this.  The FIA had lost its original paperwork, but through some good connections at Chevrolet, we were able to source a set of #610 papers.  The only problem is there are very few photographs detailing any modifications that were done to the cars.  The last piece of clarification that we require is to do with the brake ducts on the front of the cars.  Does anybody have any photos showing these items please?  I understand that on the trans-am cars (limited to 5 litres) there are a good number of pictures, but the FIA are being very specific that it must be a big block car.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for an excellent forum.  Simon

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: ZL1 Racecars
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:48:46 PM »
Simon, this ebay auction shows the Bob Grossman/Don Yenko car at Sebring in 1970. It was running a ZL-1 at this race although it ran a small block in Trans-Am races during the season. It did run a front spoiler in Trans-Am with no duct openings in the spoiler, from the pics I have seen. Maybe that changed in 1971. I'll see if I can find evidence one way or the other. Anyway, it seems as though they may have been taking air to the front brakes through the turn signal openings.
Jon Mello
CRG

ScottRacingServices

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply Jon.

I've not seen this photo before but seen a shot of the car from Daytona in the 1970 race, the Bob Jane car clearly shows that they used the turn signal holes for cooling the rare photo will be of the car with a wheel off showing the duct going to the brakes.

I'm in constant contact with the FIA and we are checking to see if the ATCC races for 1971 where run under a international licence, as info and photos of the Bob Jane car seem easier to source.

We will get some pictures of all three cars we look after on here soon. Simon.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 05:40:51 AM »
Simon, I'm still looking around for some photos that might be helpful to you but am not having much luck so far. I'll keep looking. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing some photos of the three cars you look after.
Jon Mello
CRG

ScottRacingServices

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:04:00 PM »
Thanks for your help so far Jon; much appreciated.

Here are some photos of what we look after.  Hope you like them!  You can see more on our facebook page www.facebook.com/ScottRacingServices

Simon

Attachment (1) - our Camaro 69 (company owned)
Attachment (2) - Camaro 1968 Z28 aka "Butch" (a customer's)
Attachment (3) - Camaro 1970 1/2 RSSS Z28 (a customer's)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 04:19:44 PM »
Very nice, Simon! Thanks for posting those photos.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 04:43:55 AM »
Here's a shot of Bob Grossman's '69 at the Wolverine Trans-Am. It was not running a ZL-1 at this race, of course, but it does have the turn signal holes open and they were probably used for ducting air to the front brakes. It is strange because at some races Grossman does not run a front spoiler and other times he does. Likewise, sometimes the turn signal holes are covered over and sometimes they aren't. There doesn't seem to be a predictable pattern of why.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything