Author Topic: Are these ex-Trans Am Camaros racing at multiple Daytona 24 hour races?  (Read 25812 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Are these ex-Trans Am Camaros racing at multiple Daytona 24 hour races?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »
My understanding is that the Marshall Robbins car was a third "back-up" car that was not completed by Jim Hall. Robbins bought it and completed it to run the '71 season. Warren Agor got that car from Robbins to run the 1972 and later Trans-Ams. I don't know whose car Mo Carter got but I suspect it was the Ed Leslie car. Mark Waco got the other Jim Hall team car (descibed as ex-Hall in the 1971 Donnybrooke T/A article in Competition Press & Autoweek) and Waco ran it as car #1. I think Sid Rust must have gotten his car from Mark Waco.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 07:49:05 PM »
On the Historic Trans-Am website, the Marshall Robbins/Warren Agor car is described as the third Chaparral team car. Apparently the car was completed but was "severely damaged" during testing at Laguna Seca. That particular chassis did not compete in an actual Trans-Am race during the 1970 season, according to the HTA write-up.
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2013, 01:59:35 AM »
jon, thanks for that info on the chaparral camaros. I had seen that photo of waco doing some forest clearing at elkhart 1971, but didn't twig to it being the one of the hall cars.

mike

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 12:47:07 AM »
You're welcome, Mike. I guess I assumed you would have already known that.
Jon Mello
CRG

wendell

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2015, 01:00:56 PM »
Thanks for the pics.  My buddy was at the '74 run offs and mentioned running against one of the Chaparral cars .  Said it was bad fast. I'd never seen a picture of it. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
You're welcome. Who was your buddy that ran at the '74 runoffs?
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 08:03:32 PM »
  haven't posted on the forum in a while !  I know it's not Daytona, I've just come across this photo, looks like a ex Chaparral Camaro ? if not can we identify where this was taken ? and the Camaro driver. Jon will probably have the answer.

http://stiffspeed.tumblr.com/image/111790958959

Mike (group/7)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 10:33:48 PM »
Mike, I have seen the picture before and it is definitely at Riverside. I remember researching the Camaro but I can't remember now what I found out. I don't think it is a former Jim Hall car but the paint job has a little Jim Hall inspiration in it as it looks like a Chevy bowtie on the door.
Jon Mello
CRG