Author Topic: Wheel bearing inspection and replacement  (Read 7037 times)

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
Wheel bearing inspection and replacement
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:38:21 PM »
I am considering pulling the wheel bearings on my car to inspect and repack with new bearing grease. Any recommendations or helpful tips before I get started? I have done plenty of front wheel bearings on disk brake cars, but I have never done any rears. I was also reading up on this topic in my chassis service manual. I noticed that it says that the front bearings are in the wheel hub and not the disk rotors like the ones I have done before. Is this correct for a front disk brake car, or is the service manual just referring to the front bearings with drum brakes?

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel bearing inspection and replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »
I believe First Gen's had two  piece rotors, meaning hub and rotor separate.
Later, rotor and hub became one piece.
I would suggest in using synthetic grease for less friction, probably would never notice the difference.
Be sure to bend the tabs on the pads in securing the pad to the caliper preventing the annoying pad rattle.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 12:33:15 AM »
Everett is correct about the 2 piece rotor. The hub is separate from the rotor but it is bolted to the hub from the back side. Nothing is serviceable on the rears until it breaks or do PM and replace the bearing before it breaks. They run wet in rear axle dope.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:19:21 PM »
OK after some further reading I think I understand this procedure a Little better on the rear. I will need to take out the axle shafts to replace the rear axle bearings. A couple of questions, first what do I need to look for to determine if the axle shafts are good and do not need to be replaced? Second my service manual says that when reinstalling the bearings to use a bearing lubricant? Is this the same as the front bearing grease, or is it like tmodel66 said a wet lubricant? If so what is the recommendations for the type to get at the parts store when I buy the replacement bearings. I know in need an SAE 90 gear lube for the rear diff, but I am not sure what to use on the bearings. I also read a post on another forum to use some black RTV with the new seals?

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:30:18 PM »
Rear axle bearing access is remove the C-clips and pull the axles out.
Now, you can use a sliding hammer puller and pull out the bearing and seal together.
You use SAE 90 wt lube on the outer surface of the outer race aiding in the bearing install into the tube.
Seal is next and sealant on the outside of the seal shell may not be a bad idea. Install squarely.
The axle is the inner race, you will see where the bearing rides on the axle.
The surface should not pitted, grooved, or missing any part of the surface, and the bearing surface should not be grooved deeply either.
A new axle may be warrantied.
Before installing the axle, spread a finger full of gear lube onto the bearing rollers.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:19:11 PM »
Great thank you. That is what I was looking for. I just like to confirm what I reading.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 09:53:40 PM »
It might just be me but I always put a good dose of regular wheel bearing grease between the seal and bearing after the install and before the axle. Just fill the void between the two all way around.  Be sure to put the additive in with the dope if it's a posi-trac unit.
Daniel  

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:03:14 PM »
OK thanks, but just so I understand correctly that I do not pack the bearing like the front and that they are lubricated by the 90 wt gear oil. That Extra grease is just between the bearing and the seal correct?

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 11:38:06 PM »
OK thanks, but just so I understand correctly that I do not pack the bearing like the front and that they are lubricated by the 90 wt gear oil. That Extra grease is just between the bearing and the seal correct?
Yes sir that is correct. I don't know but it's just me again I always go to the dealership here in town and get my 90wt and additive from them. I just like using the GM oil in my posi unit.
Daniel  

mickeystoys69RSSS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 12:29:20 AM »
Thanks. I do not think I need the posi additave as I checked all of the numbers during my purchase inspection including the code on the axle tube and it did not indicate a posi. I will know for sure when I remove the diff cover.

anything