Author Topic: Tic toc tach w/gauges  (Read 7347 times)

Tinkerr

• View Profile
Tic toc tach w/gauges
« on: August 06, 2006, 03:08:21 AM »
I saw a 69 Z at a local show today an noticed the car had a tach w/o gauges and no console. The owner added aftermarket oil/temp gauges. Could a 68 be ordered with the tic toc tach and the oil/temp gauges in the same cluster? My car has idiot lights and a bench seat so console gauges are not a option. If possible I'd add the gauges and tach by installing the tach gauge cluster combo. thanks

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Tic toc tach w/gauges
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 04:26:02 AM »
No, the Tic-Toc-Tach was part of the RPO U17 option that included not only the tach, but the ammeter, temperature, oil pressure and fuel level gauges. Of course, the RPO D55 console was required as was a V8 engine. In reading your post, it appears that you're stating that the car you saw had the oil pressure and temperature gauges in the same instrument cluster as the tach?

Ed

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 07:37:46 PM »
Ed,
If I understand correctly, if you got the tach, you also got the console and gauges. no console, no tach, no gauges.The gauges in the 69 mentioned above were aftermarket, mounted under the dash. I didn't see any factory gauges only the factory tach. Thats what led me to believe he had a tach with idiot lights. What are the alternatives, car had idiot lights and he replaced them with the tach, didn't have or want to install the console so instead mounted aftermarket gauges?

btw the part #'s you gave me for the speedo gears and the reduction adapter were available through GM. thanks

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 08:07:40 PM »
Wait a minute. Are we talking about a 68 or a 69? (You have both in your original thread, but since you refer to it as a "Tic-Toc-Tach", I was assuming you meant a 68 since this wasn't available on a 69.)

If it IS a 68, then it sounds like he installed a tach and didn't bother with the other gauges (or the console). Since repops are now available, things like this are going to start popping up more and more.

If he installed the tach in place of the gas gauge, then he's not only lost that ability, but the ability to monitor the alternator and the cooling temperature as well (see below). Of course, aftermarket gauges have been added as you stated, but he's still lost his fuel level and charging system monitors.

Interesting that the adapter was still available from GM. I knew the speedo gears were, but I didn't think the adapter would be. you just never know...

Ed

« Last Edit: August 06, 2006, 08:14:20 PM by bertfam »

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 11:11:19 PM »
The car I saw was a 69. The more I think about it, 69's had idiot lights independent of the speedo/fuel gauges. I miss spoke calling it a tic toc tach. I guess I had a brain cramp on that one.  ::)

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 11:50:11 PM »
That's okay. But again, no tach without the other gauges (and the console), so it's either been "added", or the console and gauges "removed".

Ed

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 05:16:49 AM »
That's U16 in 69, tach only and center mounted fuel gauge.
Kurt S
CRG

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 05:38:34 PM »
Thanks Kurt. I've always been a little light on 69's so I appreciate the info. Was that available throughout the year?

Ed

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 08:53:20 PM »
U16 tach only was added during the 1969 model year. COPO documentation indicates it appeared to be added at the request of someone like Yenko to eliminate having to add an aftermarket unit.
Learning more and more about less and less...