Author Topic: Gardner Exhaust Rusting from the Inside/Install Stainless?  (Read 11851 times)

Mac B

• View Profile
Gardner Exhaust Rusting from the Inside/Install Stainless?
« on: March 28, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
My Gardner exhaust spits rust from the bleed holes on the resonators and mufflers.  My car was built in September of 1969 at the Norwood plant.  Were chambered exhausts sold by the dealer late enough that a dealer installation was possible?  Stainless works makes a correct chambered exhaust in stainless.  I plan on getting it coated with a natural finish.  Would the installation of this exhaust be concours correct?  Thanks for your help.

67ssrsl78conv

• View Profile
Re: Gardner Exhaust Rusting from the Inside/Install Stainless?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »
It would look correct but the only difference in stainless is the sound is different.

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 04:13:25 AM »
you could not get chambered exhaust in sept of 69.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:54:43 AM »
you could not get chambered exhaust in sept of 69.

Obviously not as an RPO at that build date, but I believe the last question was; could it have been ordered "over the counter" via the dealer parts department and installed. Certainly the system was available thru the parts dept and  most dealers would do anything to sell cars.

Regarding judging "most" legitimate programs will judge a car as how it left the factory. Since your car was built well after the RPO was deleted, it would not be considered correct(in my opinion). I had a Gardner chambered on my 3B Z when I finished the restoration in 2004, and then ordered the transverse system within a couple months. I have that chambered system stored in my basement. I have four Z28's built within the correct timeframe, but choose not to install it because of the annoying tone. I do have it on my L34 and I feel it sounds better on big blocks.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

Mac B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:33:08 PM »
Thank you all for your insight.  I have discussed the matter with Gardner and they now do not have the "bleed" holes in the bottom of their resonators and mufflers.  Accordingly I have purchased two new resonators and a transverse muffler.  Gardner indicates that they are aluminized inside and should not rust.  The rest of the system appears to be solid so I am going to install the mufflers and hope that the problem is solved.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 01:38:11 PM »
Thank you all for your insight.  I have discussed the matter with Gardner and they now do not have the "bleed" holes in the bottom of their resonators and mufflers.  Accordingly I have purchased two new resonators and a transverse muffler.  Gardner indicates that they are aluminized inside and should not rust.  The rest of the system appears to be solid so I am going to install the mufflers and hope that the problem is solved.
How old was the system? Was any of the cost eaten by Gardner?
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Mac B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
Nope, Gardner merely agreed to sell the mufflers and resonators separately.  I gather they will not do so unless you already have one of their systems.

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 05:41:05 AM »
The Gardner system has problems - unfortunately if or whenever there is a problem with the product it is never their responsibility.  At 3 times the price of the other available systems you would think that maybe they would make SOME effort for any manufacturing defects.

Nope you obviously mistreated the system.
But I guess you are good now because they have told you NOW it won't rust - just like they told you the last time.  LOL

Before you spend any money for Gardner's VERY VERY EXPENSIVE exhaust system.
read this ---> http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168582 the trouble started on page 3.

Have you looked at the systems from D&R - A great system at a great price. www.drclassic.com
Every bit as original for 1/3rd the price.

if you really need stainless, then try these guys ---> www.waldronexhaust.com

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 12:20:12 PM »
 That is interesting reading, Jeff. I wonder if the problems were resolved with the supplier by now.
I was looking at the Gardner system because the 304 SS one I had made back in 1987 (I forget who did that....some place in Ohio as I remember) still looks brand new but the bend into the tunnel on the right pipe isn't as opened and smooth as I would like it to be and seen with steel pipes.
  During the cars re-restoration now I am looking at installing resonators which is why I was looking at Gardner but I just may look at the alternatives you posted too before making any decisions. I'm not going the 'judge on a lift' route so having an exact repro isn't as important to me.

Thanks for the info,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

anything