Author Topic: To stripe or not to stripe? That is the question  (Read 13877 times)

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
To stripe or not to stripe? That is the question
« on: August 06, 2006, 03:04:40 AM »
Okay Camaro experts, I could really use some input here.  I just bought my first (well actually second) Camaro.  It is a 68 RS SS 396/375 and the previous owner had repainted it black from the original Z-Z British Green code, removed all the badging and wheel and rocker panel chrome trim, and blacked out the grille.  I am putting the SS badging and RS chrome back on along with a new grille with chrome leading edges where the factory correct is painted silver.  The grille should look like the one on the 68 RS SS on the front of Chevrolet By The Numbers 1965-69.  The paint is good and I will leave it like this for several years before I consider repainting.

Now the question; do I put the SS stripe back on?  The correct stripe would be the D90 that goes down the quarter panel and door.  With all the chrome back on the black and chrome look will be sharp and I am undecided about the stripe.  On the one hand the stripes all look great, on the other hand I wonder if the stripe will take away from black and chrome look.  Does anyone have a picture of a black RS SS with the prroper chrome and the stripe?  I have not been able to find one yet on google images.

It will be fun to hear what everyone's opinion is on this?

Thanks, Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
Re: To stripe or not to stripe? That is the question
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 01:26:04 PM »
Mark - I like the look of all the first gen stripes, especially if they go with the car.  (in other words I hate seeing Z/28 stripes on a SS for example.)  I'm confused however about how you described the D90  stripe that "goes down the quarter panel   and door".
In any case, I say go for the stripes. 
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 04:45:50 PM »
Joe:

When I describe the stripe I am distinguishing bewtween what is usually called the Bumble Bee stripe (D91, early 68) and the stripe that comes about half way vertically down the nose piece then extends back along the front quarter and down to just about the lock on the door.  If I am correct this is the D90 stripe that was added for later production in 1968.  My car was built in June 1968 so this would be the correct stripe.

I appreciate any and all feedback on this decision.  I know the car will look great either way and it is subjective, and for some reason I just can't make up my mind on this one thing.  The car is mostly original or factory correct and I want to keep it that way.  I also know it could have been ordered stripe delete, athough this doesn't really matter, because the one thing that is not factory original or correct at this time is the color.  I just want to get people's opinion on this.
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

mr396

• View Profile
    • 1968 camaro SS 396 RS convertible
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 08:19:31 PM »
I vote for the stripe.
1968 camaro RS/SS L34 396 air convertible

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 10:43:49 PM »
Thanks for the pic.  Great car and it looks awesome with the stripe.  This is exactly what my car will look like if I bring it back to original color from the current black.  Hope all is well in sunny California.  You guys have it great with the cars there and no rust.

One compelling vote for stripe.
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 05:10:29 AM »
Even though these stripes are common to see on SS cars these days, you really need to consider putting it back on if you are restoring it. 
They were definitely a sign of the times and of some iconic value to the car.

My Camaro originally came with a black vinyl top.  When I restored my car in 1980, I opted not to re-install the vinyl top.  So many cars from
that period had vinyl tops and I just wanted a change.  I regret that decision every time I look at my car.  BTW, the vinyl top is going back on......

Go for the stripes ! ;D

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 01:47:15 PM »
If you are restoring it to original then put on the stripe.
But if your question is about looks, then the more "modern" black-on-black look is great and better stripe-less.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 09:47:23 PM »
Thank you for everyone's input.  I have decided to put the stripe on.  Even thought he car is black and the original color is British Green I am going to incur the expense to do this as i will keep it black for a few years.  Because I am going back to the original Black/white houndstooth, I think the white stripe will tie in the exterior and the interior as well.  It is also true to the original spirit of the car and I want to keep that as well.  Call me silly if you want to but I want to respect the cars for what they were and are and putting the original stripe back on does this.

Thanks again for the learned opinions.  I am totally impressed with the people on this site and all your knowledge and love of Camaros.
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 12:32:05 PM »
Just to add a note to the topic. The nose and front fenders were painted and the doors were decals. Also it was common to see a break or offset at the downward angle at the nose of the front fender caused by the use of a two piece stencil to paint the D90 at the factory. One thing that I am wondering myself is if the late version of the D90 was available to non SS cars as was the the "bumble bee" version was later in 67 and early 68?
67 O-1 O4A L35 Convertible, Indy Zone IPC

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 11:54:16 PM »
You are correct that the nose and front part of the fender were painted.  I believe the decals started on the fender in back of the wheel well and then went down the door.  I had not heard about the break you are talking about and will have to be more observant.  Nice pic by the way.  Sweet car.  I do not know about the stripe option on non SS cars.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 12:05:50 AM »
ccargo - Is your Camaro Royal Plum?  I thought that was a '67 color only.
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 01:15:21 AM »
No its a 68 color called cordavan maroon. Its not as violet as the royal plum offered in 67. I like it very much but ralley green still remains my favorite overall  ;D I'm pretty sure this is a good example of the later 68 D80 stripe and did burn a CD with my Sony showing the stencil marks and the measured dimensions in a variety of locations along with the decals and how they are fitted on the doors. If anyone is interested I'll burn a copy and send it to you if you send me a PM with your address. Mind you, its not a Spielberg production  ::)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:31:56 AM by ccargo »

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 10:56:59 PM »
As I read the 68 AIM both the early and the later stripe were available for non SS.  The notation in the AIM for both is for 12000 series and lists no limitations.  For that matter, the 68 AIM has the same notation for the pin stripe, which was definitely available for non SS.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 01:42:27 AM »
ccargo.  I was reading a post from last November and see that your car is a L78 with an M22 and a 4.56 rear end too.  So is mine 8) although the previous owner changed the rear end to a 3.73.  I may change it back at some point, will have to see after I drive it for awhile.  Sorry for the thread drift but can you tell me the date codes of your car, the transmission and the rear end?  My car and the tranny and rear end are quite a while apart and am wondering if the combination is rare enough that the components sat around for awhile at the factory.

Thanks
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

ccargo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 12:36:42 PM »
Mine is a Norwood 04A body build. I remember talking with the previous owner about your car last year sometime? However I dont recall the details. Here are the driveline codes off the POP. All are pretty tight with the 04A build date of the car.

T0314MQ
P8C28
BW0325G

anything