Author Topic: GM gets bailed out, then goes to China??  (Read 13919 times)

rsr

• View Profile

GI JOE

• View Profile
Re: GM gets bailed out, then goes to China??
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »
oh yeah... I should share this for what it is worth...

Every countries population has about 10% of the best and smartest, i.e. your rocket scientist, MD's, PHd's, (Camaro hobbyist... LOL), etc...

now China's 10% is more than all the US population put together...

this little fact brought it in clear for me to see what we are up against...
 :o

BTW, I have nothing against the Chinese people, I think they are a good people, very smart and kind...

but Communism  is another matter...

SFC GI JOE - Airborne Paratrooper
68- L-78, M22, BV
69- L-78, M22, BV, Conv

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2013, 03:57:37 PM »
Lots of blame going around, Most people do not understand what they vote for..... they just complain. Please look into your own past votes and see if those are the same people passed all the loopholes and taxbreaks ( not to mention unpaid-for wars ) we are whining about - not just the "hot topic" issues that people remember..... when you buy the lot, you get EVERYTHING inside that lot.
So, It starts with a grain of sand. What is anybody on this thread doing to change these issues? We can start by NOT buying forigen parts. Feel free to pile on. My $ .02.
   VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »
:-\

obviously this is not an easy topic or question but according to fact check 1/3 is still US GM owned... 

I guess they missed the part of the other 2/3 majority owned... I assume not US GM...

You are confused. 1/3 of GM stock is owned by the U.S. Treasury Department, and the other 2/3 of GM stock is owned by individual and institutional investors. Stick with the facts - it makes it easier to understand, in spite of the "conspiracy theorists" who prefer not to deal with the facts, as it distorts their agenda.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »
   On a better note, according to this months (March) issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines, the next generation Camaro production will be moved from Canada to Lansing.
Per the article "This will make for the first generation Camaro built within the US borders since the Van Nuys plant closed in 1992 and all Camaros since have been built in Canada"
The article further states "Why the move? Manufacturing efficiency. Assembling the next generation Camaro at LGR consolidates rear-drive passenger car assembly with the Cadillac CTS and ATS. This will make for lower capital investments and improve production efficiencies - the Camaro is the only rear wheel drive vehicle built at Oshawa, so building it on line with other rear wheel drive cars makes operational sense."

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

miket1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »
Here is a strange fact, every one minute of every day, someone in China buys a vehicle made by General Motors, hundreds of other American Corporations are mfg. products in China also, and the Chinese people are buying products made by American Corporations, China has a huge population, many times  more than ours, they are a new emerging economy and there is a fortune to be made there selling them our products , I am not defending anyone, I hate to see jobs moved there as much as anyone , but things are changing fast.
69 Z28 Burgandy

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 05:36:30 AM »
If '40 years' is fast, then yes, things are changing fast...   In the sixties, American built, and bought, american goods.   We tood pride in making them and purchasing and using them.   Foreign goods were considered (and were) 'crap'.   but by the late 70's, the 'new generation' was coming up, more involved in *self*... they bought what they considered to be the *best*, which mainly was *cheap*.   Japanese auto companies had learned from American companies and they were first to market with small cars which got good gas mileage (for the time) and they made great inroads... more and more 'americans' (young one anyway)  now considered American cars as 'crap' and bought japanese Hondas in record numbers; that 'change' kept changing, as other industries (TVs, electronics, etc) were shut down in the US and moved to other countries..  Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, mexico, south america, Canada, etc... this has continued to today where we really aer in a world economy, and the US has to *fight* just to keep a small part in the economic battles.   American car companies are now making good cars; better than elsewhere in my opinion with better gas mileage, more power, more everything, but the parts come from *everywhere*...   even companies from other countries bring in their parts and 'make' (meaning assemble) the cars here..  so they are 'US made'.. 

I personally believe we cannot remain (or recover?) our position as the premier world economic power without retaining the ability to manufacture.   Americans have always led the way in *design* of new products, but to a great extent, those *ideas* came from our manufacturing floors...  where the ideas began and germinated.    We must regain our manufacturing capability.   We don't have to manufacture *everything*, but we must know HOW to manuafacture *anything*.. and the only way to retain that is to do it..

Just my opinion..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 09:30:11 AM »
Just my opinion.  American companies (some) got complacent, then offshore companies beat them on price and quality. Sales fell, people lost jobs and blamed the folks who used American technology to beat American companies at their own game. The only way to stay ahead in the global market place is to have a better product. Better can mean price, quality,  or both. I lost a great job to some computer programmer in India, twice. If my employers had not remained competitive more jobs would have been lost when they lost market share or folded. It sucks, but it happens. Going back to school in Feb for a new job that won't pay what the old one paid, but it's better than what I have now, and it's going to be real hard to outsource paramedics.

tom
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:47:33 AM by tom »
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »
May not can outsource.....but they can import them and underbid you.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 06:15:30 PM »
 That's been happen for many years now....no need to outsource immigrants work cheaper and employer doesn't pay workmans comp,ins,ect..... The culprit is "the bottom line" always looking for ways to increase profits..IMO

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 07:39:02 PM »
'increasing profits' is what business is supposed to be about, but what gets me is WHY does our government make laws that spurs businesses to make decisions that are detrimental to the US and it's citizens?..  do our politicians and lawmakers EVER wear their thinking caps for more than 60 seconds at a time???
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

adjudimo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »
Only when they fall asleep during session!

miket1

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
In 2011 GM. sold more than 2.5 Million vehicles in China alone, and ,in 2012 the sales numbers were even higher there, THE REST OF THE STORY,, since June 2009  GM has spent over $6.9 Billion in 12  U.S. states to expand operations here, that has created over 17,600 jobs here in the U.S.A., American car builders are building great vehicles ,  better than the foreign makes,, it seems Toyota has a recall of hundreds of thousands way too often,,   there are a lot more facts to the story that GM  got a govt. loan and ran off to China than what is being told, or rumored,   GM., Ford and Chrysler were already in China for many years before the depression hit us.l
69 Z28 Burgandy

anything