Author Topic: Chaparral Camaro video.  (Read 6266 times)

1109RWHP

• View Profile
Chaparral Camaro video.
« on: March 01, 2020, 04:37:23 AM »
Pretty cool video. Love the street driving portion. I did not quite get what they were talking about with the hood. Were they implying the air went in between the hood and the header panel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhh3JPGEEK8

169INDY

• View Profile
Re: Chaparral Camaro video.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 05:34:07 AM »
Neat thanks for sharing.
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 06:14:30 AM »
They did not have a raised hood for the '70 cars so the Chaparral team created a hood that still routed cold air to the carburetor but rather than take it from the base of the windshield or back of the hood, it came through the grill and was routed up into the front portion of the hood prior to the rest of the air that got passed through the radiator. There should be a seal between the air cleaner base and the hood but it looks like there isn't one there on the car these days.
Jon Mello
CRG

group/7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 02:55:30 PM »
1109RWHP, thanks for posting that video link   8)

Here's a couple of under hood shots of the Chaparral Camaro from 1970, that seal around the air cleaner, is that what you mean

Jon ?

The hood plenum that Chaparral used, wasn't that something developed by Smokey Yunick for GM ?

Did the Owens Corning cars use that hood in '70 ? I've never seen a under hood shot for those cars.

Mike

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 08:04:30 PM »
Thanks for posting. The under hood ram air 'chamber plenum' reminds me of the 1968 Shelby GT-500KRs. Whom ever designed it originally (Smokey?), its a work of art, an engineering wonder, yet simple in design/function!
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

mikebaronehouston

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 12:48:39 AM »
I like the battery box.

Any idea what they did in '71/'72 when dry sumps were allowed and batteries could be moved back to the trunk?

Mike
Mike Barone
Houston, TX

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 01:45:08 PM »
Yes, the foam seal was what I was talking about.

The Owens-Corning cars used the underhood cowl plenum air cleaner like used on the '67-'68 cars.

Batteries did get moved further back such as to the trunk and in the interior after 1970 and they were in a marine type battery box enclosure.
Jon Mello
CRG

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 02:11:33 PM »
Yes, the foam seal was what I was talking about.

The Owens-Corning cars used the underhood cowl plenum air cleaner like used on the '67-'68 cars.

Batteries did get moved further back such as to the trunk and in the interior after 1970 and they were in a marine type battery box enclosure.

Jon,
Did Smokey design the original under hood plenum/chamber?
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Oldtimer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
I like the battery box.

Any idea what they did in '71/'72 when dry sumps were allowed and batteries could be moved back to the trunk?

Mike

I bought a Bartz 302 from Jim Crittenden, complete with dry sump set up, in around 1978 to put in my '69.  It came with a really nicely fabricated dry sump tank that fit in the footwell on the front passenger side of the cockpit.

We ultimately mounted the tank to the roll cage, behind where the passenger seat should have been, as I think the rules had changed, again, to allow it to be moved further back.

mikebaronehouston

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 02:27:29 AM »
Oldtimer,

Many thanks for the comment.

Any pictures of the tank or do you remember any defining details?  How big was it?

I need to have one made for my project and have had difficulty finding any pictires of tanks.  Really, the only image I have found is of the the Penske/Donohue Javelin.  There are pictures of the engine and the tank is visible where the battery once was.  Harry Quackenbush mentioned it on the floor like you describe in the Minter/Adams Firebird. 

The Moroso custom shop seems capable of building something like I think is correct.

Best,

Mike
713-203-2483
mbarone@texas.net
Mike Barone
Houston, TX

mikebaronehouston

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 03:12:40 AM »
Nit-pick rule question for Oldtimer, Jon or anyone...

Both the '71 and '72 GCR say dry sump tanks must be in front of the firewall.   Section E, 17.

My read of the rules is like the Penske/Donohue Javelin did it.  It looks like they put it where the batteries were—in the alcove that juts into the passenger-side footwell.

However, people who were there or owned one say the tanks sat on the floor inside.

Not enforced?  What’s most correct as most used?

I've changed twice how I am going to do mine--cutting and making sheetmetal for the battery, removing it and making a pop-rivited panel and then drilling it out again.  Ugh.

Mike

Mike Barone
Houston, TX

Oldtimer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 02:16:56 PM »
Oldtimer,

Many thanks for the comment.

Any pictures of the tank or do you remember any defining details?  How big was it?

I need to have one made for my project and have had difficulty finding any pictires of tanks.  Really, the only image I have found is of the the Penske/Donohue Javelin.  There are pictures of the engine and the tank is visible where the battery once was.  Harry Quackenbush mentioned it on the floor like you describe in the Minter/Adams Firebird. 

The Moroso custom shop seems capable of building something like I think is correct.

Best,

Mike
713-203-2483
mbarone@texas.net

Found this old picture, which shows where we put the tank, however we surrounded it will an aluminum housing so you can't see the actual tank itself.  I apologize for the poor photo quality, but this is a scan from a photo taken in the 70's.

Tank-2 by Jim Forte, on Flickr

mikebaronehouston

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 01:11:51 AM »
Old Timer,

That is a cool picture.  '72 or earlier?

How did you service the tank?  Where is the access?

Many thanks.

Mike
Mike Barone
Houston, TX

Oldtimer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 12:56:14 PM »
This is in my '69, photo dated around 1977 or so.

Lid of the housing was held on with Dzus fasteners.

Sump tank itself had an aircraft-type twist to seal filler cap.

DomX77D80

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 02:47:22 AM »
Ho my GOD !!!! 8) 8) 8)