Author Topic: TMI Sport Seats  (Read 7168 times)

adams69camaro

• My 69 L-78 Convertible Re-Creation
    • View Profile
TMI Sport Seats
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »
Anyone done a TMI Sport Seat conversion in their 69 Camaro?  I must be getting old because my stock, custom houndstooth seats are not comfortable for long cruises at all. Thinking about doing the conversion this winter.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Re: TMI Sport Seats
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:53 PM »
Is that the conversion that keeps the original look and material, but updates the contour of the seat foam with additional side support? I saw this at a show once, but didn't keep the contact info and have not seen it since.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

adams69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:15:43 PM »
Yes, stock look with better bolstering.  You can see them at http://www.tmiproducts.com/chevy/
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:05:52 AM by KurtS »

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:02:41 AM »
 I wonder if I can reuse my standard covers over this new foam or does it require their covers? I got my covers last year from Legendary because they are the closest thing going right now for stock appearance. I like the looks but if I have to buy their covers I can't see changing.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

adams69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 02:06:35 AM »
Cant use stock covers. Wont fit new pads. They sell factory stock covers with the pads.

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 02:20:48 AM »
OK thanks Adam. Guess I'll have to deal with what I got for now. Boy it would be nice to have that extra though cause I like you are starting to "feel" my age.    ;D
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:01:06 AM »
Do they sell the complete seats with 'factory' type covers??
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

JoBu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »
I first saw these in the NPD catelog and am very interested in going with a set for the front.  Has anyone made this swap and if so, did the covers arrive fitted over the foam?  (just curious as I'm not sure I have the skill to ensure a nice fit). 

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:06:21 PM »
Pictures and evalualtions of 67-69 TMI seats at T.Camaro.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »
Yes TMI makes the Sport Foam and Sport Seat covers.

The Sport Foams add the modern comfort and support to the classic first gen seat frame. No modification of the frame is required.

The quality of the TMI Sport Foams are top notch quality and the seat covers vinyl grain and color as well as the  houndstooth pattern match perfectly to the originals. Well in my case Orange and Black does. I have seen a few solid black and black and white houndstooth. 

I have recovered mine for my Z-11 last spring and I'm waiting for TMI to release their deluxe door panels to finish my interior restoration. They also sell headrest covers but I have not decided what to do yet. 

TMI will soon release Custom Sport Foams and Seat Covers for those running a modified theme on their first gens.

TMI is a sponsor over at TC and answered completely any questions I may have had so their quality control and customer service get gold stars from me.  You can buy direct but you may find the prices from a reseller are lower. 
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

adams69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »
Thanks for the information.  The only other question I have is I have read where the new seat foams add about 1" to the seat height.  If so, does that bother your headroom too much?  I am 6'4" and my head is right at the top of the windshield already in my convert.  Mine is the black/white houndstooth pattern.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 01:15:14 AM »
There was an issue a few years ago with the design and the quality of the foam was higher but that has been redesigned still as with any new foams from any quality shop the ride height returns to normal original height. This temporary height will settle in after a few months faster if you are a bigger then average guy.

What you will find unique to the Sport Foams is that the front of the leg is now supported and for some folks would put the steering wheel a bit closer to their legs. What I can tell you is you won't believe you ever sat long hours in the crappy GM seats once you settle into the Sport Foams. I love the Black and White Houndstooth seats. Let me know if you go that way I'll send you the dealer I used after research with TMI they had the best price and the easiest website setup for ordering.
TeamCamaro - Moderator

adams69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 01:45:26 AM »
Thanks, I am definitely going to get them over the winter.  Please send me the information on the dealer you used.  I see there are quite a few different prices out there.  You can email me direct if you don't want to post adams69camaro@gmail.com.  Thanks for the help.  I really look forward to having "comfortable" seats.  Did you install yourself or have an upholstery shop do it?

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 07:47:03 PM »
Mail sent. Details in the email but did it myself.
TeamCamaro - Moderator

anything