Author Topic: Reproduction Tire Age  (Read 2254 times)

camaronut

• View Profile
Reproduction Tire Age
« on: November 25, 2012, 11:47:11 PM »
OK...

I've had a set of Goodyear Polyglas repro tires since 1995, and they still look great.  No dryrot, cracks or anything that indicates any failure.  These tires have no more that 3000 miles on them.  The car is always stored in a garage....and the tires have always been given a coating of Meguiers Protective coating - front and back side at least three times a year.

Now for the stupid question........should I replace these guys before something blows????  I'm pretty sure 17 years on a set of tires is kinda risky....

If I replace, I'm going with Radial T/A's.......$1000 for four tires is nuts.

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Reproduction Tire Age
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 02:44:11 AM »
If you plan on very many road miles so the tire gets hot I would definitely replace them. If your staying in town and only city driving 5 or 10 miles so the tire never heats up you might be alright.  Yeah those tire prices are crazy. That's why I have the T/A's on my car.   ;D
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Reproduction Tire Age
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:19:28 AM »
Tire companies will tell you to replace them within 5-7 yrs, but they are assuming the car is driven, and is outside in the UV from sunlight a lot.   If you car is a garage queen, and never sees the 'light of day' (ie. UV rays), then the tires are probably OK for reasonable short distance driving, but I don't think I'd go racing or long distance high speed driving with them... :)    (I've got some Michelin X's on some older cars that stay in a basement garage (no windows), which still look good even though they are over 30 yrs old, and the original spare tire in my '57 Bel Air doesn't show any dry rot or cracks either...  :)

Gary
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan