Author Topic: Street T/A  (Read 46330 times)

1109RWHP

• View Profile
Street T/A
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:04:30 AM »
Anyone out there building a streetable T/A clone?  I see alot of Mustangs being built but no Camaros. Everyone in my area is into drag cars. I seem to be the only T/A nut.  If you are working on one post some pictures, I would love to see them. I am a Mustang guy but I like anything Trans Am related. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Street T/A
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:38:49 AM »
Great post. I hope there are some Camaros out there that fit that "streetable T/A clone" description. Anybody got some photos to share, even if it's not your own car?
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »
Check out the historic SCCA racing page on facebook....there are few pics there that are T/A inspired.

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
Robert L has got a yellow '69 Z with cross-ram, heater delete, Stahl headers, 4-wheel discs and maybe a few other goodies on it but it has a full interior and no cage. Are you looking for cars with gutted interiors and a cage or more like what I have described with Robert's yellow car?
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:28:44 AM »
Cage or no cage, either way is cool. Just curious to see if anyone built or is in the process of doing a T/A clone.

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
I've got these.
Camicia

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 03:26:41 PM »
and this

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
Wow!They look great.  I see headlights in the Javelin so I am assuming it is street legal? Do you have any one line photo albums of them?

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »
High School Autoshop project cars:
 www.gunnautotech.com

rick50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 07:07:41 PM »
While not perfectly streetable,  this build would make a great pattern for someone trying to replicate an early TransAm Camaro...................

http://www.rhoadescamaro.com/build/?m=201211

BTW........I don't post much here but am a daily reader and fully enjoy the postings from all of you.

I hope everyone has  a safe and Happy Thanksgiving

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »
cuda48, those are some neat school projects you have there.  I did not get to work on anything like that when I was in tech scool. Just boring stuff.  Do you own those cars or are they the schools?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 01:57:48 AM »
Mike, your school project cars are really neat. Got any pics you can post of the Cougar?
Jon Mello
CRG

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 04:17:52 PM »
Thanks guys,
Most people build model car replicas, I build the full size version.  I've been close up to most of the real ones over the years and have taken lots of photos.
These cars are mine (I put the kids to work building them)  I'm just there for guidance.  They do the welding and all the work.  While these look pretty cool we've made mistakes too, so undoing the mistakes is part of the learning process.  I love the Trans Am cars so that is my focus.  I'm introducing a whole new generation to these cars and their history, the folks behind the history, the great rules interpretations and deviations, etc.  Auto shop is more than just working on cars, you know.  About the only thing I can't do here is paint them.

We have some autocross cars and my wife and I take kids with us and teach them to drive.  We have open track cars too.  Kids don't get to drive those but we've taken a bunch around Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and Thunderhill Raceway.

Jon, I haven't got any low resolution photos of the Bud Moore Cougar project, but the www.GunnAutotech.com web page has my advanced class posed around it so you can get an idea of what's coming.  We just finished mounting the oil cooler up front just like the real deal. 

I'm hoping to retire with all of my toys in a few years if I can keep this program running.  Computer classes are all the rage these days and most shop classes have been dropped.  Hands on classes are rare.  These kids can't even operate a broom when I start with them.  Now I've got former students who work on top secret aircraft, have gone on to compete at the SCCA runoffs, and have been featured in Road and Track magazine! This sure beats working at the Dealership!

I have another 68' Mustang project to complete that we've just started working on.  I may add the side vents and convert it to a 67' to make a yellow Titus tribute,
I don't have a Camaro or a Dodge Challenger.  The prices are just insane for even the most rusted out body shells for these.  I probably have enough parts laying around to tackle them both should a decent donor car find a home here.  By the way, my wife and I  fund these projects ourselves. There is no money for shop classes in California.

Mike Camicia

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
You are doing a great job by the looks of it. Those kids are fortunate to have cars like that to work on and to teach them what Trans Am cars were like. Most adults don't know what a Trans Am cars is!  I tell the guys I work with that I am building a Trans Am Mustang and they think it is some kind of Pontiac! The way schools are heading is a shame. You can't teach a computer to restore a car. Keep up the good work.

Scott.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 06:20:38 PM »
Mike,

Your program is a terrific opportunity for those kids to learn things that really will serve them well as they move forward with their lives. I'd love to see you guys be able to tackle a Camaro project. Maybe somebody tuning in here has a decent Camaro (or Firebird?) project body they would be willing to part with for a reasonable fee to benefit the cause.
Jon Mello
CRG

Pickle

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
Cuda48

Just looked over your website...what an AWESOME opportunity you have created for your kids!  Outstanding!
Loud Pipes Save Lives

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 12:57:15 AM »
Thanks John,
We're working on a 55' Ford truck that will look like the So-cal Speed shop push truck when done.  Even I'm excited about that one.  We are also fixing up a single axle trailer to pull our Model T Ford racer behind it! The kids really take an interest when we build something special so that's what we do.  I need to find time to update the website.  Are you still going to sell your Camaro?

Mike

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 02:57:44 AM »

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 04:31:50 AM »
You must be a member to see it. :'(

Pickle

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 05:32:48 PM »
Thanks John,
We're working on a 55' Ford truck that will look like the So-cal Speed shop push truck when done.  Even I'm excited about that one.  We are also fixing up a single axle trailer to pull our Model T Ford racer behind it! The kids really take an interest when we build something special so that's what we do.  I need to find time to update the website.  Are you still going to sell your Camaro?

Mike

AMC has a forum...wow, this new interweb thing has everything!

My Camaro isn't officially for sale but...  There was a few guys looking at it last year that might still be interested but I don't have any real desire to sell it, I'll likely enter her in Sonoma and Monterey.

Loud Pipes Save Lives

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 05:36:56 AM »
This is a '67 Z-28 that I owned that I bought from the original owner. Really a neat car. Original paint, original drivetrain, original interior
and lots of original paperwork (sales invoice, window sticker, protect-o-plate, etc). The original owner raced motorcycles and told me he
bought this car with the intent to make it a road racer. He checked off all the right options when ordering it. It is an authentic factory header
and cowl plenum air cleaner car with radio delete and heater delete. It had the J56 heavy duty brakes, 4.10 posi, 61 amp alternator, and heavy
duty battery. It also had the very rare shoulder belts and was ordered with headrest seats but the factory screwed up and put standard lowback
seats in it. The cowl tag shows the code for the headrest seats but the dealership gave him a credit. The goofy thing is the headrests came in
the trunk or back seat but were never installed because there was no slot in the seats to put them into. It was a very unique color combination
of Mountain Green with black stripes and gold interior. It's not eveybody's cup of tea but I liked it. I don't know that you would call this a
"Street T/A" car but it was ordered new with all the right stuff. The car never did go road racing but did win many a street drag race back in the day.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:05:51 AM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 01:14:45 AM »
That realliy is a nice car! I love the original unrestored cars the most. My friend has a 67 Z/28 that has super low miles becuase it was drag raced from new then sat apart most of it's life. White with black vinyl top. Original paint and interior. It is a302 car. His wife has a citrus green 70 Z/28 with 33,000 on it all original. Another friend just bought a 70 Z/28 that is a copper/brown color that has 30k on it too. Was repainted once but mostly original.I am still suprised no one on here has  built a Mark Donohue clone.

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 01:45:14 AM »
That's a great looking 67 Jon!  I always have preferred the unusual colors. The Mountain Green exterior probably prevented quite a few tickets in its day.
I hope she is still around in good hands.
Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 04:02:59 AM »
Great pictures Jon... Mountain Green is one of my favorite colors for 67. I'm torn between that and Madeira Maroon.  As for a Donohue T/A street clone, there is one that I see every year at the Coronado Historic races that is painted like it. Never took a picture of it though. It's always in the car corral.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 01:44:05 PM »
Thanks for the compliments on the green car. It is still owned by the person I sold it to and in good hands. I would enjoy seeing any photos of that white with black top '67 Z, if that's possible. I'm not sure I know of the car. Fred, Madeira Maroon is very rare on a '67 Z. There are only three known examples in the '67 Z-28 Registry. I have one of the two known "street" Z-28s in that color (just another project at the moment) and the other was raced in Trans-Am by Dick Young.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:36:23 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 02:40:52 AM »
I'm sure some Ford guys will find this amusing but this is the original dealership for my old green Z-28. It even had a dealer emblem on the taillight panel that said that on it.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 03:32:31 AM »
Ironic...

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 03:35:55 AM »
I probably should also have mentioned that the car I see in Coronado is a 69 T/A clone.

ZBM 100

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 04:48:30 AM »
I like the T/A look here is my car not a full on T/A clone but I like it.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »
Thanks for posting. Cool photo from above like that. Tell us more about the car. Is that original paint? How about the wheels? it's kind of hard to tell for sure. Are they standard American Torq-thrusts or the Torq-thrust "D"? The backs almost look like the American 200S "Daisy" mags.
Jon Mello
CRG

ZBM 100

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
The car was repainted in the 70's original color it's a very nice old camaro. It was parked in 1983 until I bought it in 2007. Torq thrust d's very hard to find but I had to have them staggered tires helps the look.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 04:08:32 PM »
The original style Torq-thrust "D"s are some of the best looking wheels ever on an early Camaro. I'm glad you were able to find a set for the car. Does the car have a blue or black interior? Is the engine 100% stock or has it got a cam and headers like a lot of them got? My first car was a '69 Z with the "140" cam, headers, the L88/ZL1 clutch and 4.10 gears. I had a lot of fun in that car!  ;D
Jon Mello
CRG

ZBM 100

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 05:00:16 PM »
The car has standard black interior. I got the car without motor or trans it was raced at famoso raceway in the 70's. I dressed the engine compartment kinda day two stock. 1969 impala 350 with z intake headers unlite m21 wide ratio 4.56 gear YES alot of fun. I put a .600 lift solid roller 350 ported victor jr dart heads monster in it REAL fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS3E0-wVf9Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_joKpbO33E

Sixteen Grand Sedan #56

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »
Cowl hood delete, that is very cool and quite rare these days ;D
Robert Lodewyk

vtfb68

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »
Black tail panel ?
   VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

ZBM 100

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 06:58:23 PM »
I like the flat hood but not the black tail panel the previous owner must have.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 06:18:17 AM »
Yeah, I prefer the body color tail panel over the black but nonetheless, a cool car. Thanks for sharing the pics and info on it.
Jon Mello
CRG

j-rho

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 07:58:10 AM »
While not perfectly streetable,  this build would make a great pattern for someone trying to replicate an early TransAm Camaro...................

http://www.rhoadescamaro.com/build/?m=201211

BTW........I don't post much here but am a daily reader and fully enjoy the postings from all of you.

I hope everyone has  a safe and Happy Thanksgiving
Just found this, cool thread, thanks Rick!

Building my car into something like a streetable T/A clone, to race with the SCCA.  The class I'm building for has pretty strict rules.  Engine is a stock (rebuilt) 302, stock carb, stock trans.  4.88 12-bolt, upgraded 4-wheel discs, upgraded springs/shocks and leafs, race seats and steering wheel, but otherwise stock interior.

Not allowed to alter smog equipment, so I'm building a '67, where it was available with no smog.  Also heater delete.  Very curious to see what it will weigh!

Only a couple weeks away from having it running.  Made progress since this pic (lowered rear, raised front, installed vent windows), but it's the best I have on its vintage TA wheels.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
That is sharp looking! I like the way it sits. How close are the tires to the fender when you turn?

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 06:37:11 PM »
THAT is a nice car! 
Camicia

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »
Jason, the car is coming along nicely! Kudos for going with the real magnesium wheels too. It will be neat to see it get completed and I hope you have much success with it in STX autocross.
Jon Mello
CRG

3SuperSports

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2013, 09:40:36 PM »
Not a track vehicle, just wanted that look. If I had it all to do over, I would have spent time reducing weight and making it more race ready. Maybe after I retire.

3SuperSports

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2013, 09:41:58 PM »
Another.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2013, 11:29:49 PM »
Looks great! Love the two tone paint.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 02:59:31 AM »
The paint job looks nice. Is that a red pinstripe between the two colors?
Jon Mello
CRG

3SuperSports

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 02:08:03 AM »
Thanks. No, there's no stripe

j-rho

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2013, 05:16:18 AM »
Didn't know where else to post this, but thought I'd share, since you guys have been so helpful to me in the process of building and restoring my car-

Car had its first race weekend over Easter.  Slower than I would have liked but it mostly held together.
http://www.rhoadescamaro.com/build/?p=1845

Also have an in-car video for download, it is somewhat large though (~180MB):
http://www.rhoadescamaro.com/build/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/sdTourDay2Run2.mp4

A long way from where it needs to be handling-wise, but now the fun of tuning and setup can really begin!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2013, 08:21:17 PM »
Jason, thanks for posting and letting us know the car is up and running. I'm sure it will perform better as you make the various tweaks necessary to dial in the handling and engine performance. Anyway, congratulations on getting your feet wet with it and thanks for taking on a challenge like this. It's nice to see a 1st-gen Camaro taking on the newer stuff in this kind of competition.
Jon Mello
CRG

j-rho

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 04:29:59 PM »
Heyward Wagner, the SCCA's communications director, was out at the El Toro Pro Solo last weekend. While there he put together a very nice little documentary piece on the Camaro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meybtwmMxQY

Enjoy!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2013, 05:05:49 AM »
Nice video of the car. Thanks for posting.
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2018, 01:24:34 AM »
Finally got the car back from paint. Came out great! Now hopefully I can get done over the winter.

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2018, 01:25:40 AM »

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2018, 03:18:21 PM »
Looking good, 1109RWHP. I also saw your pics at the Boss 302 site.
And yes, I agree with your comment, unfortunately I don't see any 'street' T/A Camaro's. Hope these builds inspire the Chevy faithful. As for my self, Im always on the look out for a project '69 Camaro to make into a Trans-Am terror.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2018, 02:22:02 AM »
Paint looks fantastic. And that is a creative way of making the car mobile while not installing the drivetrain first!
Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2018, 02:49:44 AM »
The paint really looks great.  Totally fitting with all the other outstanding work you have done on the car.  I hope you drive it and enjoy it once it's done.
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2018, 05:40:39 AM »
Thanks for the compliments. Here is a video of the engine on the run stand. 347, dart block, Trickflow aluminum Cleveland heads with a Holman Moody 2x4 dual plane.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb9bLhDpni4

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 12, 2018, 06:46:23 PM »
wow that paint looks awesome!

I wish there were more street t/a style cars. Ive always had a idea of building a first gen camaro with all the modern suspension and a ls motor, but with all the apperance and colors of a vintage T/A car to then autocross and show with. I think the idea would be neat in a vintage nascar theme as well.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2018, 12:18:34 AM »
I always wanted to do a 72 NASCAR Torino with a Boss 429 in it for the street.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2018, 01:19:52 AM »
The engine looks and sounds terrific.  I'm glad you painted the aluminum heads so the visuals are correct for the era.  Nice job.
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2019, 03:40:47 AM »
Finally! Went for it's maiden voyage yesterday. Need to change a couple of things.

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2019, 05:27:30 AM »
That thing is UNBELIEVABLE! I would do many many illegal bad things to have a work of art like that to drive every day! :D
Nick

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2019, 11:35:31 AM »
beautiful car.  Nicely done.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2019, 12:45:50 PM »
Awesome job, Scott.  Incredibly nice work.  Glad to see you got it completed and thanks for sharing the pics here.
Jon Mello
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2019, 09:26:25 PM »
That looks fantastic, well done!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2019, 11:13:03 PM »
Thanks for all of the compliments.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2019, 02:02:47 AM »
Congrats, nicely done!

exracer29