Author Topic: Street T/A  (Read 46334 times)

1109RWHP

• View Profile
Street T/A
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:04:30 AM »
Anyone out there building a streetable T/A clone?  I see alot of Mustangs being built but no Camaros. Everyone in my area is into drag cars. I seem to be the only T/A nut.  If you are working on one post some pictures, I would love to see them. I am a Mustang guy but I like anything Trans Am related. 

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Street T/A
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:38:49 AM »
Great post. I hope there are some Camaros out there that fit that "streetable T/A clone" description. Anybody got some photos to share, even if it's not your own car?
Jon Mello
CRG

klvn8r

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »
Check out the historic SCCA racing page on facebook....there are few pics there that are T/A inspired.

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
Robert L has got a yellow '69 Z with cross-ram, heater delete, Stahl headers, 4-wheel discs and maybe a few other goodies on it but it has a full interior and no cage. Are you looking for cars with gutted interiors and a cage or more like what I have described with Robert's yellow car?
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 01:28:44 AM »
Cage or no cage, either way is cool. Just curious to see if anyone built or is in the process of doing a T/A clone.

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 03:17:06 PM »
I've got these.
Camicia

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 03:26:41 PM »
and this

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
Wow!They look great.  I see headlights in the Javelin so I am assuming it is street legal? Do you have any one line photo albums of them?

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 06:24:24 PM »
High School Autoshop project cars:
 www.gunnautotech.com

rick50

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 07:07:41 PM »
While not perfectly streetable,  this build would make a great pattern for someone trying to replicate an early TransAm Camaro...................

http://www.rhoadescamaro.com/build/?m=201211

BTW........I don't post much here but am a daily reader and fully enjoy the postings from all of you.

I hope everyone has  a safe and Happy Thanksgiving

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »
cuda48, those are some neat school projects you have there.  I did not get to work on anything like that when I was in tech scool. Just boring stuff.  Do you own those cars or are they the schools?

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 01:57:48 AM »
Mike, your school project cars are really neat. Got any pics you can post of the Cougar?
Jon Mello
CRG

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 04:17:52 PM »
Thanks guys,
Most people build model car replicas, I build the full size version.  I've been close up to most of the real ones over the years and have taken lots of photos.
These cars are mine (I put the kids to work building them)  I'm just there for guidance.  They do the welding and all the work.  While these look pretty cool we've made mistakes too, so undoing the mistakes is part of the learning process.  I love the Trans Am cars so that is my focus.  I'm introducing a whole new generation to these cars and their history, the folks behind the history, the great rules interpretations and deviations, etc.  Auto shop is more than just working on cars, you know.  About the only thing I can't do here is paint them.

We have some autocross cars and my wife and I take kids with us and teach them to drive.  We have open track cars too.  Kids don't get to drive those but we've taken a bunch around Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and Thunderhill Raceway.

Jon, I haven't got any low resolution photos of the Bud Moore Cougar project, but the www.GunnAutotech.com web page has my advanced class posed around it so you can get an idea of what's coming.  We just finished mounting the oil cooler up front just like the real deal. 

I'm hoping to retire with all of my toys in a few years if I can keep this program running.  Computer classes are all the rage these days and most shop classes have been dropped.  Hands on classes are rare.  These kids can't even operate a broom when I start with them.  Now I've got former students who work on top secret aircraft, have gone on to compete at the SCCA runoffs, and have been featured in Road and Track magazine! This sure beats working at the Dealership!

I have another 68' Mustang project to complete that we've just started working on.  I may add the side vents and convert it to a 67' to make a yellow Titus tribute,
I don't have a Camaro or a Dodge Challenger.  The prices are just insane for even the most rusted out body shells for these.  I probably have enough parts laying around to tackle them both should a decent donor car find a home here.  By the way, my wife and I  fund these projects ourselves. There is no money for shop classes in California.

Mike Camicia

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
You are doing a great job by the looks of it. Those kids are fortunate to have cars like that to work on and to teach them what Trans Am cars were like. Most adults don't know what a Trans Am cars is!  I tell the guys I work with that I am building a Trans Am Mustang and they think it is some kind of Pontiac! The way schools are heading is a shame. You can't teach a computer to restore a car. Keep up the good work.

Scott.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 06:20:38 PM »
Mike,

Your program is a terrific opportunity for those kids to learn things that really will serve them well as they move forward with their lives. I'd love to see you guys be able to tackle a Camaro project. Maybe somebody tuning in here has a decent Camaro (or Firebird?) project body they would be willing to part with for a reasonable fee to benefit the cause.
Jon Mello
CRG