Author Topic: 396 clearence problem  (Read 16349 times)

ehibs

• View Profile
    • Myspace
396 clearence problem
« on: June 10, 2006, 11:35:44 PM »
I have a 67 Camaro with a non-factory 396 it did come with a small block though. Im having clearence problems with the ss hood, wiper moter (which some shorter valve covers might fix?), fan not lining up in the fan shroud and i think the distributer will fit but barely! I have the correct bottom engine mounts the top engine mounts are small block but I was told theres no hight difference! I will attach pix and if any one can help that would be great and if you would like me to snap some pix of a more specific area Ill do that! Thanks

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 396 clearence problem
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 03:21:59 PM »
Someone else will comment on the engine mounts. The BB sits off-center to the right to get more clearance from the exhaust manifold to the steering gear, so the fan opening in the BB fan shroud is also offset to the right relative to the radiator; the SB shroud won't work with the BB engine location.

From the photos, it appears that you might have a problem with exhaust heat on the brake pipes and valve being located directly above your manifolds or headers; the production plumbing was all located OUTBOARD of the master cylinder to get it away from exhaust heat.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ehibs

• View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 05:54:02 PM »
I forgot to mention that I do have the offset bb fan shroud but the fan sits about a 1/4" to tall and about the same to the driver side. Can you tell by the pix if the upper engine mounts could be the prob?

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 04:31:33 AM »
Are you sure the frame mounts are correct? The '67-'68 frame mounts moved the BB forward from the firewall and tilted the engine slightly to the right for steering box clearance. The GM PNs are #3912597 for the driver's side and #3912598 for the passenger side. They've been long discontinued, but if perchance you scored old factory mounts this may help you identify what you have. There are 2 different early block mounts, too--one has a thicker rubber insulator that would raise the height of the engine, but I can't remember the applications.
    In the '70s I did this swap in a '69 for a friend--307 to 396--and everything from the small-block worked, including the exact same mounts--frame and engine. I warmed the 396 over with a .550"/306 Crower cam, headers and a Holley, and that thing would smoke the tires out of sight!
   Hope this helps.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

68rsssrag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 05:37:25 AM »
just to be clear the frame brackets are 3912597 L which measures 2.5" total H or 1.75" to hole centerline and 3912598 R 2.0" total H and 1 7/8" to hole centerline. The mounts are still available as 6258154. you will also need a BB z-bar if it a manual tranny.

Arno

ehibs

• View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 08:58:56 PM »
thats great! The measurements should help me out alot at least I will know for shure if I have the right frame mounts and im ordering new rubber mounts just to eliminate one more thing. I also have a different intake manifold im gonna try that sits alot lower then I think if I get shorter valve covers with the angled back, electric fan that should almost get my problems fixed what do ya think?

kcandc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 03:31:08 AM »
I'm sure you have checked this, but I did a Chevelle awhile back and the oil pan was hitting the crossmember in a place that was hard to see. It drove me crazy for awhile. With the proper oil pan installed, everything fell into place. Just a thought. Karl

ehibs

• View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 09:17:35 PM »
thanks ill make shure to check that area! I didnt think about that

anything