Author Topic: Trunk sound deadner  (Read 40720 times)

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: Trunk sound deadner
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
It seem to me when I had metal roofs put on my house & garage they used something like this. I need to go by the roofing shop to check out what they were using...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 04:32:26 PM »
Very informative topic and had no idea there was sound deadener in the trunk for cars w/Deluxe Interiors.   Much appreciated!

I laid out the sound deadener in the interior of the car over the weekend and the current kits sold do not provide material for the tunnel.  I'm assuming only Deluxe Interior cars received extra sound deadener that covered the tunnel, or?   It appears the material on the tunnel may not have had insulation pad, just Asphaltic Mastic only. 

View of original Sound Deadener while disassembling the interior:
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »
Hi Hans, comparing the transmission tunnel sound deadener material I removed from my car during disassembly its appears to be the same construct as the under-seat material. Yes, its mastic with a kraft paper overlay. This same material was used in the trunk.  I haven't received my drop shipped order of roll material yet however I plan to re-make all the deadener panels (including the inside trunk panel) using my takeoffs as templates. 

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2019, 11:51:16 PM »
Lloyd, were you able to remove the trunk sound deadener in one piece? Would love to see a picture of it.
Thanks, Doc.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2019, 03:08:50 AM »
Lloyd, were you able to remove the trunk sound deadener in one piece? Would love to see a picture of it.
Thanks, Doc.

Doc, it did come out in one piece. If you refer to the photo in Reply #27 that's pretty much how it looks. There is an area missing around the jack hook bracket. I will take a photo of it out of the car if you're interested? 

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2019, 04:21:46 PM »
Lloyd, Been following your thread. Really nice work and detail.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2019, 05:09:21 PM »
Can we confirm if the mastic pads were the same all 3 years and between dlx and std interiors? I think they basically are the same as the pic John posted, but the fronts in 68 and 69 don't have that notch removed. Any other differences?
I have a pic of FlowJoe's Firebird floor and it has mastic all down the tunnel and nothing under the front seats, btw.

Based on the two variations of the padding images posted, it appears Deluxe Interiors also included padding around the tunnel while Standard Interiors did not - correct, or?   Also, per Kurt's comment, it appears in '69 the notch area remained while earlier models did not have this piece. 

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2019, 12:16:00 AM »
Lloyd, Been following your thread. Really nice work and detail.

Thanks for the feedback Kelley, I appreciate the encouragement!

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2019, 12:18:54 AM »
Just curious if your cutouts are the same as the others?
Thanks, Doc.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2019, 02:10:59 AM »
Lloyd, did you ever receive the material?

Not yet, will report back when I do.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2019, 10:00:21 AM »
View of original Sound Deadener while disassembling the interior:
Hi Hans, I'm interested in a detail of your auxiliary lighting shown in that interior photo, but will PM you to avoid hijacking this thread.
Thanks, Tim
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »
Very informative topic and had no idea there was sound deadener in the trunk for cars w/Deluxe Interiors.   Much appreciated!

I laid out the sound deadener in the interior of the car over the weekend and the current kits sold do not provide material for the tunnel.  I'm assuming only Deluxe Interior cars received extra sound deadener that covered the tunnel, or?   It appears the material on the tunnel may not have had insulation pad, just Asphaltic Mastic only. 

Hans, here is a photo of the interior of Mike P's Norwood 11C X11 car (6cyl, Turbo 350) with standard blue (715) interior - perfect original floors - after we stripped it in 2012. You can see there is no sound deadener on the trans tunnel.

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »

Hans, here is a photo of the interior of Mike P's Norwood 11C X11 car (6cyl, Turbo 350) with standard blue (715) interior - perfect original floors - after we stripped it in 2012. You can see there is no sound deadener on the trans tunnel.

Interesting and thanks for posting Lloyd!   So it appears standard interior cars did not receive insulation over the tunnel.  Did Mike's car have insulation that went partially up the firewall as well as in the picture above it only appears to cover the floor boards?

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »
Wonder if D55 (and possibly M20 too) had anything to do with the sound deadener on the transmission tunnel, rather than Z87? Seems that having a section of carpet missing (factory cutout) under the console might increase noise levels.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2021, 03:04:05 AM »
I ordered some of the bulk material from Repops that was suggested for the asphalt layer of the trunk insulation however I wasn't pleased with it. Its thin, about the same thickness and construction as roofing goods and quite rigid. In fact it had a granular top coat. James G (firstgenaddict) found a specialty product manufacturer in Fresno CA who is producing some really interesting concours quality niche parts and supplies for early Mustangs. They produce an underlayment material for the back seat to trunk transition on 1969 / 1970 Mustangs that would have essentially the same function as the trunk insulation on our cars so I contacted DNO and was able to purchase a roll of the material 12" wide.

New insulation material as received beside my original

Paper side (Original on the bottom). Its a thick, oiled material like the original.

Back side of the Original - TOP and DNO underlayment - BOTTOM. Both have a thin, clear plastic layer over the sticky asphalt material 

New material +/- 3mm thickness compared to the Original (below) - virtually the same

I used the Original material as a template for the new underlayment. As the curves were ragged in places I used a flexible ruler to mark the contour.

Part of the right side curved corner was missing so I had to copy and transfer it from the left side that was in tact.

I used the Original jack hook bracket punch out as a template for the new cutout. I measured and cut for the correct location of the jack bracket. I used a leather punch to get a clean radius in the corners.

Once I test fitted the new trunk insulation I used 3M 77 spray adhesive on the backside to secure it to the trunk floor. I used (silver) duct tape to reinforce the jack hook bracket cutout while I was working on it.

The photos don't adequately capture how very well this turned out and how similar it is to the original. Its a shame it gets covered by a trunk mat.

anything