Author Topic: Trunk sound deadner  (Read 40716 times)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Re: Trunk sound deadner
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2018, 03:27:39 PM »
Will-do Bentley, I'm hoping that another CRG member has a source for the material and will post their findings here.

PS - in researching the trunk splatter paint and (inside quarter panel) spray-on sound deadening processes for my restoration I discovered that most all of the photos of original '69 and '68 trunks I've seen show spatter paint coverage on the back of the seat braces however no further up than the mid point. Seems spatter coverage does vary on the braces however it's generally poor. On my car (see Post #27) there was almost no spatter paint from the factory on the seat braces. 

Restored spatter paint and spray-on sound deadener

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »
I was racking my brain trying to remember where I found this tar material, I think it was from a company called RePops. I bought a loose bulk piece. It was much better than regular tar paper. I got some brown craft paper and glued it to the top side. I will post a couple pictures showing how it turned out and one with rough dimensions. Here is a third picture of a very nice original. George

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 12:23:31 AM »
Great post George - thanks, I browsed Repop's web site and they make all kinds of automotive restoration sound deadening and water shield kits. They don't make a '69 trunk insulating pad. I plan to call them tomorrow to ask about selling me some bulk/uncut material. I think the water shield may work well for the paper top. Will post once I have more info. 

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 03:30:07 AM »
George, I’m trying to understand the small differences between your pad and the original in the photo. Is your trunk floor original or has it been replaced?

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2018, 12:43:37 PM »
Lloyd, Yes I did replace the trunk panel in my car. Had too many rust pin holes. What differences are you seeing?
The water shield you refereed to from Repo's is black, not at all like brown craft paper. After the glue dried on mine I sprayed with WD40 and wrinkled it slightly, looked just like the originals I have seen. George

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 04:01:38 PM »
Lloyd, Yes I did replace the trunk panel in my car. Had too many rust pin holes. What differences are you seeing?
The water shield you refereed to from Repo's is black, not at all like brown craft paper. After the glue dried on mine I sprayed with WD40 and wrinkled it slightly, looked just like the originals I have seen. George

I needed a partial lower trunk floor replacement and the AMD pan I used had 2 notable differences vs the original factory pan. First it was missing some dimpling mid pan (similar to the dimpling around the jack hook loop) which needed to be replicated and second, the drain hole surround stampings use a shallower drop off radius (you can see these differences in the photo below you posted). So to correct this we grafted in the original drain hole surrounds from my original pan. I plan to contact Repops today however according to their current web site some of the water shields they now show use a manila colored paper. (  http://www.repops.com/product-search.cfm?ca=39 )

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:36:20 PM by Edgemontvillage »

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 06:51:29 PM »
"First it was missing some dimpling mid pan (similar to the dimpling around the jack hook loop) which needed to be replicated "

Convertible version Hook anchor location?
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 06:57:41 PM »
"First it was missing some dimpling mid pan (similar to the dimpling around the jack hook loop) which needed to be replicated "

Convertible version Hook anchor location?

Jim, the AMD pan omitted dimples mid pan (as circled) and as far as I know these dimples were stamped in all 1969 Camaro original trunk pans.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 07:53:06 PM by Edgemontvillage »

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 07:08:00 PM »
I contacted Repops today and was told they do sell the watershield and sound deadener in bulk rolls as follows:

12'x4' Universal Watershield Material
39'x72" Sound Deadener Material

They don't sell retail direct so I'm working on placing an order through one of Repops' retailers. Speaking with their Sales Manager I was told the Watershield material is black on one side and manila on the other.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2018, 08:12:18 PM »
Lloyd I see what you mean about the missing dimples, that water shield material looks good also. George

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2018, 11:58:25 PM »
Lloyd I see what you mean about the missing dimples, that water shield material looks good also. George

George, importantly you've contributed significantly to this topic - many thanks!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 01:54:03 AM by Edgemontvillage »

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 04:26:38 AM »
Lloyd,  if you have to buy those quantities, it would seem to be lots more than necessary to do your own; you could recover part of your cost and help one or two others here by packaging some your residue into a 'trunk package' for people who want to do the same to theirs...?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2018, 06:06:55 AM »
Lloyd,  if you have to buy those quantities, it would seem to be lots more than necessary to do your own; you could recover part of your cost and help one or two others here by packaging some your residue into a 'trunk package' for people who want to do the same to theirs...?

Hey Gary, good point, I was planning to use the water shield for the doors too and the sound deadner in the passenger compartment to replace the original material on the floor that I removed. I'll need to figure out how much is required to complete the car and would be happy to offer the balance to whoever needs it for their project.   

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »
Lloyd, did you ever receive the material?

Danzo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »

anything