Author Topic: LUCAS Hot Rod & Classic Motor Oil  (Read 5454 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
LUCAS Hot Rod & Classic Motor Oil
« on: December 01, 2012, 07:50:50 AM »
  I think this is relatively new stuff, has anybody here tried it?
http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/oils-fluids-sealer/part-type/motor-oil/brand/lucas-oil/product-line/lucas-hot-rod-and-classic-car-motor-oil
   And what is general concensus here, is it better to change oil before putting the car in storage for Winter, or in Spring when I take it out?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: LUCAS Hot Rod & Classic Motor Oil
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 03:52:46 PM »
http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/oils-fluids-sealer/part-type/motor-oil/brand/lucas-oil/product-line/lucas-hot-rod-and-classic-car-motor-oil
   And what is general concensus here, is it better to change oil before putting the car in storage for Winter, or in Spring when I take it out?

Unless you have a radical valvetrain, there's no reason to use "boutique" oils.

Change oil just before you put the car up for winter storage - you want fresh, clean oil sitting in it all winter, not last season's dirty oil.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:36:11 PM »

Unless you have a radical valvetrain, there's no reason to use "boutique" oils.

Change oil just before you put the car up for winter storage - you want fresh, clean oil sitting in it all winter, not last season's dirty oil.

X2 to both things John said...
The old oil has all those "nasty deposits" in it, so you would not want it to sit all winter. Even if you haven't driven it that much, you really don't want old oil to sit idle that long.

On all my classic cars, I have an oil change and lube done before I store them. Also, I fill the gas tank and add Sta-bil to keep the moisture down in the tank.  And... I keep an eye on humidity and minimum temperature.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:10:45 PM »
What's this about winter storage?????     you guys don't drive your cars year around??? 
*smiling down here in the sunny south*....

PS.  Engines run lots stronger in the winter time when the air gets down in the 30's...  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything