Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Small Block Spark Plug Wire Retainers Painted Black?

<< < (2/3) > >>

68camaroz28:

--- Quote from: JohnZ on October 27, 2012, 05:00:45 PM ---My '69 Z/28 has all four of its original plug wire retainers, and they're natural (unpainted) with the ends dipped in black vinyl or plastic; they were apparently shielded from orange paint by the plastic mask used on the aluminum valve covers.

--- End quote ---

Thanks John for the info. The two pictured came out of a old group of parts & did not come off our Z (either a 327/300 or 350/300) but that black paint surprised me and seemed odd.

KurtS:
Those clearly were painted then dipped.
The part finish may have changed over the years or it could be a supplier difference (which would be unusual since the finish would be on the print).

abiddle:
reviving an old thread which has great pics. I've seen the old day 0 pic of the Nova L48 engine with the wire retainers painted orange. Is it possible the wire retainers on a Z28 would retain the original black paint, and the wire retainers on an L48 with painted valve covers would be painted orange. Asked a different way, were the wire retainers on the engine when the engine was painted for an L48?

And I'm missing the driver side retainer, could anyone suggest a decent reproduction?

Thanks - Andy

abiddle:
I'm confused on this topic. I read this thread and believe the valve cover hold downs should be painted orange on an L48, but the wire retainers should not be painted with the engine.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2946.msg18945#msg18945

But then I keep seeing this day 0 nova L48 pic used as a reference. This shows the retainers painted orange with the engine.

Thanks - Andy

BillG:
My understanding has been, the wire retainers were on the engine prior to painting... on the L48.  So, they got painted orange along with the rest of the engine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page