Author Topic: What paint is used to best replicate the correct finish on 1967 leaf springs?  (Read 13583 times)

elcamino72

• View Profile
    • More Information on Camaro Fraud
From what I've gathered, the leaf springs on 1967s were a dull silver blue color.  I want to replicate this for my restoration project but I don't know what product is best to use.    Thanks!

Mike S

• View Profile
 Rustoleum smoked gray is very close to the correct finish for a 67 mono spring.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

tmodel66

• View Profile
From what I've gathered, the leaf springs on 1967s were a dull silver blue color.  I want to replicate this for my restoration project but I don't know what product is best to use.    Thanks!

PM sent Bryan !!
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Mike S

• View Profile
Hey...why keep it a secret in a research group? Please share what your thoughts are  ;)

Mike

x77-69z28

• View Profile
When I removed the shock plates from my mono springs, there was still orig paint underneath. I took the springs to my powdercoater and he replicated the color. It is a bluish grey
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

elcamino72

• View Profile
Does anyone have a picture of springs painted the smoked grey?  It seems like it might be a little dark???  Here is a picture of an original spring ... this is under the pad and you can see the color is light and has a bluish tint.   

tmodel66

• View Profile
Give me an email address so I can mail it.  When I downsize it to fit it takes all the resolution away and you really can't tell what it looks like.
Daniel  

elcamino72

• View Profile
bshook @ dplglaw . com  (no spaces)

tmodel66

• View Profile
Hey...why keep it a secret in a research group? Please share what your thoughts are  ;)

Mike

After you guys look at the pictures and if you think it might work I don't care if you post about what kind of paint it is. The reason I didn't post it was I didn't want somebody to use it and then come back and go off on me for giving bad information. It's what I used and as close as I could get. I spent a bunch of money trying to mix paint and tint it but this is best I found.
Daniel  

x77-69z28

• View Profile
elcamino72, that is exactly the color of my mono springs.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

elcamino72

• View Profile
Daniel was nice enought to send me a picture of his 1969 Camaro's rear leaf springs.  They look GREAT, but I think they replicate natural steel and not what was correct/original for 1967 .... so the question remains, what product can I use to replicate the original finish on the 1967 leaf springs??? 

x77-69z28 thanks for the confirmation on the color. 

Mike S

• View Profile
 Daniel sent me a pic. I see what he means about blue hues.
I understand your reasons for not posting. No worries though because I know most people don't know how to adjust their camera's white balance, if possible at all these days with the small ones, so the hues may be off. Plus there's also the flash reflections changing surface brightness. Also most people don't adjust their monitors gamma and color balances either which will surely skew colors.
 I use a web picture for reference only and realize most web colors have limited color accuracy compared to the source.

Thanks again, Daniel,

Mike

elcamino72

• View Profile
Good morning!

I guess that I should update this post with what I finally decided upon.  After looking all over I finally choose a camouflage paint.  I’ve attached a picture of the can.  I purchase it at Tractor Supply.  I don’t know if it has enough “blue” to it, but it is a paint and not a primer which appealed to me.  It is close and will work for me. 

The picture of the painted springs is not the best and doesn’t show you the true color, but this is the only picture that I have at the moment and at least gives you an idea.

Thanks guys!

Bryan

NoYenko

• View Profile
Bryan, I overlaid the 2 pictures and would say that is a good match, considering your spring photo is in full sunlight and the original spring photo was indoors. George

Mike S

• View Profile
 Bryan,
 I imported both pictures you posted (original and newly sprayed) into Photoshop and measured the color values and they are very close. Looks like you have a very good match. I'm going to investigate this further being my springs are still out of the car so I just may use your idea.

Thanks for the follow up....it's always nice to see what resolutions come about with questions like these.

Mike