Author Topic: need a transverse muffler for 69 Z ,  (Read 7023 times)

aaronz28

• View Profile
need a transverse muffler for 69 Z ,
« on: July 27, 2006, 11:19:01 AM »
i have a gardner chambered exhaust on my 69 Z and it is simply too loud, and very very restrictive.

i'm done showing the car, and want to put a 2.5 inch mandrel bend sytem on it, but want the stock look of a transverse muffler behind the rear axle and the chrome tip pipes.

where can i get the correct style muffler and tail pipes? anyone know where I can get these things?

thanks

Aaron

mrdetails

• View Profile
Re: need a transverse muffler for 69 Z ,
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:45:07 PM »
FlowMaster makes a nice system. The fit is good and the sound is also...

Sam

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 05:55:33 AM »
Aaron,

A chambered system is too restrictive?  That doesn't seem to make sense.  They were developed to be much less restrictive.  Hence the noise issue.
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

aaronz28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 12:03:25 PM »
i know... it seems odd,  but everyone who is familiar with them says that the Chambered is more restrictive than the transverse system.... i don't know why.

Aaron

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 03:05:42 PM »
Aaron,

A chambered system is too restrictive?  That doesn't seem to make sense.  They were developed to be much less restrictive.  Hence the noise issue.

Restriction and noise level attenuation are two different issues; the chambered exhaust system is both louder and more restrictive than the standard dual system, just as it was on the Corvettes of the era. Chambered exhaust on the Camaro and Chevelle and sidepipes on the Corvette used the same 1-7/8" I.D. pipes manufactured by Walker, and the option was driven by Marketing, not by Engineering.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 05:13:35 PM »
It is fact.

Bill Porterfield did a series of dyno runs on a ZL1 engine. Disconnecting the chambered exhaust picked up around 80 hp.

Todays' 3" flowmaster X-pipe systems cost virtually no hp.
Learning more and more about less and less...