Author Topic: 67 8 track under dash parts  (Read 15911 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Re: 67 8 track under dash parts
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 08:06:18 PM »
Paceme,
I would also think about demagnatizing/degaussing the head on all those units. Helping to get things back in line and removing magnetic fields that collect along the path of the tape. Works for reel to reel and casette also. I remember we were working on a song to sell to Ricky Skaggs. I listened to the recording on the reel to reel and then used the unit, and felt it sounded better to me. So we mixed it all final and sent it out to be mastered.

The unit has plastic protectors on the tabs and is 2 or 3 inches long. So you can reach inside and keep from scratching the block and heads. You hold it right up near the head, push the botton, and slowly pull it out and begin turning it in a circular motion. Tight little cirlses while leaving the unit, counterclock wise. Little 1/4inch circles to start. increasing the size of the circles until it is 3 feet away and the circle is 2 feet in diameter. Then turn it backwards and release the button.

I don't know where mine is right now. SO MUCH music stuff. Now that many things are in storage, it might take a while. LMK if ya want me to look for it. I can send it out to ya and then you can send it back after use. Or buy yourself a new one. Either way... Just a suggestion......Danny

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 08:53:41 PM »
Here it is installed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 09:00:01 PM »
Kerry, I've never owned a car with the 8 track, but it appears the shifter would come AWFUL close to the head when you're in 1st and 3rd (mabye reverse too). It may even hit? Is that correct?

Ed

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 12:05:43 AM »
No ed its not close . Here are a couple pics . The first pic  one is in reverse and the second  pic is in 1st.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »
Thanks Kerry.

Ed

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2012, 12:08:55 AM »
On this set up the shifter needs to be in neutral to get the tape all the way out

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2012, 12:17:20 AM »
Nice sunny day in the Camaro out on the open highway with the Fab 4 coming from the speakers..........man, it doesn't get much better than that!      :D

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 04:29:49 AM »
Nice sunny day in the Camaro out on the open highway with the Fab 4 coming from the speakers..........man, it doesn't get much better than that!      :D

I think the distortion level produced by the  8 track is actually soothing to the ear and very hard to replicate in this exact world of digital music. Actually you could make a 8 track tape sound very different just by jamming the tape cartridge with a match book in different locations.  All kidding aside I've been adjusting& cleaning mine and it sounds pretty darn good now.
Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2012, 04:58:21 AM »
That metal piece couldn't be easy to find. Without context, it's just a piece of sheetmetal!
Kurt S
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 11:01:16 PM »
plumL78,
Thanks for sharing the pics!  Man that takes me back!  I've still got my In-A-Gadda-De-Vida tape.  Wish I had the 8 track.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 01:22:47 AM »
Insert Quote

plumL78,
Thanks for sharing the pics!  Man that takes me back!  I've still got my In-A-Gadda-De-Vida tape.  Wish I had the 8 track.

I think the original title for that song was "In the garden of Eden". And in the traslation of it all over the phone it was written down wrong. I still have about 50 8-tracks. Mine, My buddys, and his Sister's. And a nice player in great shape for a home stereo. Good Times eh!!... Danny

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 05:02:12 AM »
I knew it was something like that. Looked it up and according to the band: After then-lead singer Doug Ingle drank a bunch of wine, he slurred the words into "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida". Drummer Ron Bushy thought it was catchy and wrote it down that way.....
Kurt S
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 02:18:36 AM »
I heard basically the same story from Erik Brann...but it wasn't wine!

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:48 PM »
I picked up a set of kick panel speaker grills. The question I have is on the ones I bought. They are the same thickness all the way around it. I also have a 69Z with the 8 track option and those speaker grills are thinner on one side. They were on my Z when I bought it and the 8 track was with the car too.  So I just figured they were orig to the car. I took them off my Z just to get everything hooked up in my brothers car until I got a set.  The set I got is the same size all the way around. Its not a big deal but I'd like to know whats correct. You should be able to see the difference in the pics. I took , Thanks Kerry

Steve Shauger

• View Profile
    • Vintage Certification
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 04:27:44 AM »
Kerry,

I have the tapered on two of my cars, and that is what I have seen on other original cars. I will check my real early car (which has the two piece kick panels) and verify the grill configuration.

Steve Shauger
Vintage Certification™ Program, Providing Recognition And Status To Unrestored Vehicles.  The Supercar Registry-www.yenko.net-