Author Topic: Hood hinges  (Read 4645 times)

bc69

• View Profile
Hood hinges
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:37:56 AM »
Can just one hinge be replaced without creating alignment problems, or should they be both be replaced.
Have a SS and right hinge is loose enough that the stop misses to the inside. WD the hinges and now the hood won't even begin to stay up.
Brad
RSSS

z28z11

• View Profile
Re: Hood hinges
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 04:24:55 AM »
Strictly IMO you can replace one hinge - you're going to have to wrangle with the hood for a while anyway, due to the multi-positional adjustment of the hinge position in relation to the fender, front panel, and cowl grill gaps. I replaced both of my '69 Pacer hinges at the same time, as both of them were loose and bent to boot, and it took a good 3 hours by myself to get the hood back into the same fit as before - I would suggest you get a good friend who doesn't mind hearing a few mild swearing episodes to help you when you do replace one (or both). Use white Lubriplate to grease them - WD washes out the lube and dries off, leaving you worse than before. The grease I used (matched the factory lube on them when I got them) has been on there better than 10 years, still looks and works as before. Leave your hood up when the car is stored - sounds weird, but watch the springs when you close the hood - they will stay stretched if you close it, eventually weakening them.

I was fortunate to be able to get new GM hinges before the price trip to the moon - I'm really thinking about getting my old hinges rebuilt for spares (I don't trust repops). Good luck with the hunt for new ones -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 04:42:48 AM »
Steve,
I think a attempt of a used or new OEM to match the other
Would give me a jump start on adjusting. Might make attempt
 to tighten up old first. Anybody have any suggestions on repairing old?
Brad
RSSS

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 07:56:46 PM »
Buy a used one?
68Z28

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 12:41:51 AM »
There are 2 listings in Hemmings for hood hinge rebuilders - Rowland Hall, (818) 845-3574, CA (no web site), and SMS Auto Restoration Services, www.sms-auto.com, 800-989-6660, NH. I have not tried either yet. Rowland lists capabilities as rebuilding to original condition, reboring rivet holes and using new (correctly marked) rivets, and finishes including powder coat, zinc iridite and phosphate. If you do try either, be sure and share your experiences with the rest of us. If either can rebuild for less than a nominal NOS price, it's worth it in my estimation. I don't like repops. There are probably additional people out there; I have had good luck using Hemmings advertisers for many years.

One tip for aligning hinges - mark or outline the position of your old ones before removing them. You'll have three directions and panels to consider, plus the latch, so go slooowly when you are test closing the hood. You may get the gaps right, and then discover the hood is too low in the back, or too high compared to the cowl grille. Side to side is affected by the position of the hinges on the underside of the hood. After messing with it for a while, I quickly began to admire the assembly line techs - they only have a few brief moments to get hinges and hood installed and adjusted. Practice makes perfect -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

bc69

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 01:28:02 AM »
Thanks I will look into those options. I think I have located a good OEM set off a 66 nova .
If these are in good shape problem solved for now. Still think I will have issue with springs though.
Will most likely order new OEM SS set.
Brad
RSSS

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:07:39 AM »
I rebuild my own door hinges but 67 detent kits available are poor quality. I just spoke with Willie. He machines his own parts and presses the roller assembly as it should be done.

He does hood hinges as well. Have not used him but came recommended. 67 door lowers are going to him.
http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/index.html

I would not bother marking the position of the hood hinges. Once they are rebuilt you have to start from scratch anyway. Many don't know how to adjust the hinges to achieve proper hood height at the rear. Geometry needs to be considered and the hinge rotated to lower the back of the hood. You do not just lower the whole hinge. Easy job.