Author Topic: 67 Pacecar?  (Read 3175 times)

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
67 Pacecar?
« on: October 15, 2012, 11:22:18 AM »
This car is on Ebay claimed to be a 67 PC that was a giveaway from Montgomery Ward and Sears, yet it carries the fleet order number for being a Pacecar replica delivered to the track and its an RS only (no 4 option code).  Seriouslly doubt that any kind of replica giveaway car had anything to do with the fleet ordered cars going to the track, infact I doubt they were anthing more than white convertibles with a blue interior that a dealer made up as needed for the various giveaways they had that year.  Fake tag or an RS only delivered to Indy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Camaro-RS-1967-1-of-50-Orig-Indy-Pace-Car-Camaro-Give-Away-by-Sears-Montgomery-Ward-/180997493351?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a244a9267

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

HOT3O2

• View Profile
Re: 67 Pacecar?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »
He'd been trying to buy the car for 32 years, tells the seller ( wouldn't you want someone to love and cherish this car like you have) And then turns around in less than 6 months and puts it up for sale. Sounds like someone just trying to make a quick buck.  :-\
Rick
69 RS/Z28

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 67 Pacecar?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 08:26:28 PM »
The auction ended early.  This car is an odd duck, its got an FSO number on it, but the pace cars are all 061A, (along with others) this ones 61A, its very close to the same body number run that the other pacecars are in, (as would any other car made during the same assembly week at Norwood) yet its a non RS, Non SS car.  GM would not have used the same FSO number that they used on the pacecar run, while the pace cars were still being made to make a car for Montgomery Ward, or Sears, and then screw up the FSO number on the tag.  I'm sure giveaway cars were handled at the local level and the factorys hardly ever got involved.  I know at least one Sears giveaway car from that time period was a Non RS 6 cylinder, white convertible, with a blue standard interior made up to look like a pacecar on the outside.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 08:47:33 PM by Mark »
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11