Author Topic: Does anyone sell original style (R59 & R89) battery cases - empty?  (Read 10209 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Hello,

I currently have a regular side post battery in my 69 Camaro with an R89 battery topper.  The topper looks pretty nice, but anyone who takes more than a few seconds looking at it, knows it is a topper. 

I would love to find an empty original R89 AC Delco battery.  Something I can swap out once I get to the show, and when it's over, put the newer hi-performance optima battery back in, and keep the factory original empty case in my air conditioned house, where it can stay nice and pretty until the next show.  I wouldn't have to worry about the battery dying, acid leaking, bulky weight, and any other excuse I could think of. 

Is there anyone that either has original old batteries around that has gutted them and cleaned them up or a nice repro one?  If so, I would like to check it out.

Thanks,

Steve

festival

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone sell original style (R59 & R89) battery cases - empty?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »
I did one a few years back an an R-79 battery case that was OEM and dated to match my car and the tooling to make the reproduction was out of service and not for sale-so I got tired of waiting.

It can be done-but the work is not for the faint of heart. 

First you have to recover and neutralize the battery acid with water.  Next place the old battery upside down and flush it with water again.  Check the PH to verify that the rinsate is neutral.

Remove the bottom of the battery case with a cut off tool at the bottom seam.  You need to make multiple cuts here as the bottom is secured by internal plastic reinforcement panels so it will come off in pieces. 

Now with the bottom off -"break" the battery internally by using a hammer and bar to remove the interior plates which you will need to literally fracture (or grind up) I used a drill and a large bit here- the content which is removed then may also need to be neutralized-check your PH. 

What you are left with then is an empty shell with seperate plastic compartments-which held the plates which then need to be removed too, a Dremel with a smaller cut off wheel works here.

The now empty display case will have internal prongs connecting to the original posts that you can drill holes in to mount your internal jumper cables to-that you will also need to fabricate. 

An OEM replacement battery for a Mazda Miata is perfect as you still retain enough weight for the ride height and still keep the CCA needed to spin the engine over.  Be sure to use a set of terminal covers on the new battery to insulate the connections.

Plan on 8-10 hours or so to get this done. and wear the right PPE for working with Acid and be sure to protect the case exterior from abrasions while the work is ongoing.

I use this arrangement for shows only and would recommend disconnecting your battery when when in storage or in transport.

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »
Did you look at these reproductions?

http://www.restorationbattery.com/r89s.html
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 11:56:09 PM »
I've done the procedure that festival above talks about, except that I put an Odessey Racing battery inside the case.  I've done this on a few (maybe 10 at most) batteries that are in some of the nicest Camaro & Nova restorations.  One of my batteries is presently in the most famous 68 Z28 Camaro Stock Eliminator car...but I'm not bragging..... ;)

I've only worked on batteries that hace been dead & dried out before I gut them.  My local battery dealer takes the guts for his lead reclamation after I soak it all in baking soda to neutralize the acid.  I will say, the "no maintenance batteries", are the easiest to gut.

I showed one of my battery conversions to Rick George (former Rick's Camaro owner), and he thought it woud be a great business venture, but he doubted that I could get away without getting in trouble with licensing companies & patent infrigment....so I dropped the whole idea.

There is a thread on this site that has a picture of a gutted battery for an early Corvette.....I beleive it was converted to hold an Odessey Racing battery.

DavidS

• z28.net
    • View Profile
    • www.z28.net
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:15:33 AM »
There is a thread on this site that has a picture of a gutted battery for an early Corvette.....I beleive it was converted to hold an Odessey Racing battery.

The link is here: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1607.0;all

Reply #16 and #31.

I have an original dry Y-55 and I'm thinking about doing the same thing.  It would be nerve-wracking though......possibly ruining an original battery that looks so pretty.

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 02:28:23 AM »
David,

I wouldn't gut that battery until you use it up.....as long as it has never been filled, it should be good to go....
It should last for a few years at least, as long as you keep it charged with a Battery Tender....

Just my 2 cents...

DavidS

• z28.net
    • View Profile
    • www.z28.net
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 03:48:26 AM »
David,

I wouldn't gut that battery until you use it up.....as long as it has never been filled, it should be good to go....
It should last for a few years at least, as long as you keep it charged with a Battery Tender....

Just my 2 cents...

OK, Thanks!  I was on the fence, but I'll go with your advice.

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:18:39 AM »
Me and several of my mates bought these Delco Energizers for our 1st gens.
Same AGM guts as Optimas so they kick arse.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ANP-SR59/

Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »
I have an old display battery.  I think e3000 R59 top post.

It was made in the 70's.  Warranty tag is on top and ready to punch for 74 through 77.

Can take pics and post.

anything