Author Topic: Factory Disc Brakes on a '67  (Read 3192 times)

Vetteman61

• View Profile
Factory Disc Brakes on a '67
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:47:48 AM »
Could someone tell me how to tell if my father's recently purchased Camaro came with factory disc brakes.  All I have found are RPO numbers that would tell, but without having the build sheet I'm not sure how to tell what RPOs the car has.  I have decoded the trim tag with help from the site and it doesn't seem I can tell from that.

Also, if it did have disc brakes would it be mandatory that it came with rallies?

Thanks,
Brandon

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Factory Disc Brakes on a '67
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:21:58 AM »
Brandon, all '67s that came with factory disc brakes would have had rally wheels as part of that package. The cowl tag is not going to provide a code for anything to do with brakes. Does your father's car have a power brake booster? If so, you might have a look at the small tab on the top of the booster. There should be numbers stamped on both sides of that tab and it would be good to know what those numbers say. The top left of the cowl tag will give the build date of the car, example 01B. Let us know what that says. Also, have a look at the master cylinder and see if the casting number on the side ends in 346. There should be a small half-circle shaped machined area at the front of the master cylinder that will have a two-letter code. See if that is there and if so, see if you can clean the surface up enough with steel wool to read it. You will also want to check the brake calipers to see if they are the proper 4-piston type. The outer half of the brake calipers should have the casting number 5455533 on them.
Jon Mello
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Factory Disc Brakes on a '67
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 06:19:55 AM »
Kurt S
CRG