Author Topic: Dad just got a '67.  (Read 9095 times)

Vetteman61

• View Profile
Dad just got a '67.
« on: October 06, 2012, 05:53:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a '67 Camaro that I've posted about here before and coincidentally my dad just bought a '67 yesterday from the same guy I got mine from over 15 years ago.

Dad's seems to be a high optioned car.  It is a RS with power steering, tilt wheel, factory air, power windows, deluxe interior, seat belts and console with gauges, though I'm not sure how much is original.  I took a picture of the trim tag and was wondering what some of it might mean.  The car seems to be fairly original and I'm hoping it's as original as it seems.  He has wanted a car as a daily driver so I really hope he just enjoys it and drives it as much as possible.

I forgot to mention that the guy he bought it from thinks me may still have the California plates, which I thought would be very good to keep with the car.

Thanks,
Brandon

Vetteman61

• View Profile
Re: Dad just got a '67.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »
It seems to have all the options listed on the tag, however I can't seem to find what the 1439 means in the upper right corner.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:51:22 AM »
Brandon, that's the LA Fisher Body scheduling code. It's actually I (as in Interstate) 439. You can read more about it HERE.

Ed

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 04:12:19 AM »
Ohh, I see.  Thanks Ed, and thanks also for the link.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 05:12:49 AM »
  I have an 11A build LOS Camaro Coupe that has A638 in that position.  I was told on here about the Body Scheduling code.  It was only used on LOS cars, the letter was used to indicate the build day of the month; A was 1 st., B was 2nd., C - 3 rd., etc., etc.  So - I - would have been the 9 th. build day of Nov..  The letter was supposed to revert back to A on the 1 st. build day of every month, I was told this did not always happen as planned.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 11:28:23 AM »
Another thing to bounce here is the first five numbers of the VIN to deduce whether it was a V8 or 6 cyl. 123... 6 cylinder; 124... V8. 
Matt: 1967 RS/SS - L48/Powerglide - Sierra Fawn/Beige Vinyl Top, Charleston, SC

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:58:20 PM »
I did a search and tried to find where the numbers would be on a "matching numbers" car.  From what I gathered they should be on a tab on the front of the passenger side block, however this engine has no numbers there.  They have either been painted over or machined off.  Am I looking in the wrong place for a '67??

I also crawled under it today and saw that it had disc brakes.  They look like factory camaro equipment but I bet they've been added.  I'm going to try to look into the options and see if that would have been listed on the cowl tag.

My dad seems pretty proud of the car.  The last two days I've gone over to his house he's been cleaning on it.

Brandon

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:01:10 AM »
Brandon,

I'm a Dad too so if you still feel generous you are welcome to buy me a car....son  ;D

Dad...I mean, Mike ;)
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 12:13:26 AM »
Hahaha.  I didn't buy him one, I'm barely able to afford to keep my couple of cars running.  Haha.

Brandon

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 01:44:52 AM »
'67s are fun as you have to deduce much versus have the car tell you.  Your tag did show all those options.  It was a Granada Gold car with Gold Deluxe Interior and a Black Vinyl top.

First this to do is look at your VIN on the post for your car (driver side by your left knee when you open the door).  That will tell you if it was a V-8 or not.

To tell if it was matching number you will have to see that VIN on the deck in front of the head on the passenger side.  For the engine that is a must.

Now you can rule other things out by looking at casting numbers, etc...  on the back of the engine  those numbers will tell you what the engine was.

Does it have an oil fill tube coming right up from the front of the engine?  No oil fill caps in the Valve Covers?

I added some pics of my VIN and Cowl as well as casting numbers and date on my manifold.

Hope this helps.

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 01:46:14 AM »
My VIN/Cowl Tag picture didn't post.  Sending again.

Also, a simple thing your Dad can do, if he likes, is switch the centers on his rallly's to the '67 Disc Brake one.  Smaller and would have come on his car.

Vetteman61

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 02:04:21 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I posted in another forum trying to find ways if it was an original disc brake car.  We talked today and both though the car would look better with the original flat caps.

Brandon

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 05:00:38 AM »
If the Engine was not an original "High Performance" model it will not have partial Vin. stamped on the pad.  I believe only the 295 hp. 350 in an SS, and 290 hp. 302 in a Z28 smallblocks would have the partial Vin.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

upscope757

• Almost there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:18 PM »
One last thing you can try is to see if the build sheet survived.  Possible locations are in the springs behind the back seat, or in the trunk on either side between the trunk and quarter panel walls (this would require bending up your side floor in your trunk which you may not want to do).  The build sheet will tell you exactly what was on that car.

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 04:48:40 PM »
Your Dad ought to be proud. Nice looking Camaro. Congrats on the buy.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

anything