Author Topic: 1969 chassis broadcast copy decoding information wanted  (Read 5303 times)

69ndpce

• View Profile
1969 chassis broadcast copy decoding information wanted
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:20:48 PM »
I found my chassis broadcast copy on top of the fuel tank on my California built Camaro and I can read most of it.  However, a little bit of one side and a portion that was glued on to the tank is gone.  And some parts of it are faded and I can't read the box numbers or codes.  Is there a place on this site that has a picture of a blank broadcast copy or one that I can read all of the box numbers and descriptions?  And, is there a place that has what the code numbers or letters mean? 

Most of the parts on the car are still the original.  It has been painted black sometime a long time ago.  I'll attach a copy of the broadcast copy.

Thanks
California built Z11.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: 1969 chassis broadcast copy decoding information wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 10:28:50 PM »
That's cool!  I hope mine is still there when I get around to dropping the tank...   :)

Paul

Oaklyss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:52:04 AM »
There is a decoder floating around, its old and incomplete but has most of the info you need, on box 180 add code DE for SS350 manual with ZL-2:

69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

Oaklyss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:59:16 AM »
Find a locale "conservator", a person that restores and preserves old documents, and spend whatever it cost to have that paper cleaned and presevered. Try google museums and art galleries. DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF. That piece of paper is too important to screw it up.

1968RSZ28: Only 1969 LA built cars have the chassis sheet on the tank.
69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

69ndpce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 06:06:23 AM »
I appreciate the information.  I recognize those information pages from the Camaro Corral / Enthusiast magazines.  I have most of those and I should have thought to look there.   I'll go over the information and see what more I can tell and fill in the blanks.

I am keeping the original copy in a plastic cover in a file folder.  I've made some copies to handle and take pictures of like what you see here.  I was thrilled to find on the site here that the chassis broadcast copy could be found on the top of the fuel tank on the left side on California built 69 Camaros.   I looked and sure enough I could see the edge of it.  It was glued on which is where I tore the long middle piece of it getting it off.  I got in too much of a hurry.  I think this original paper is worth more like it is than restored since part of it is missing anyway.  There's probably somewhere that I could get a good reproduction made just for fun.  I know there's places that do window stickers. 

I feel fortunate that the VIN number and most of the codes are on it including the 5Z11AA on it.  It's a pace car that was painted black and had tan leather upholstery installed with tan carpet and tan homemade door panels sometime in the late 70's when they were just considered old Chevys.  I've found that most of the parts are still on the car and I've been recording numbers, colors and taking pictures as I've cleaned or replaced stuff.  I plan on restoring it back to the original color soon.  However, it's kind of fun cruising and going to some local car shows.  It's fun watching other Camaro nuts figure out what it is. 
California built Z11.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
If some of the box numbers have faded take a good camera with a macro setting and take the highest res photo you can using a tripod.
First get a background that is a dark blue and lay the sheet down,
Close the lens F-stop as far as it will go (8 on most cameras) Bracket your exposures, (take the first photo at whatever exposure time the camera auto sets itself to, then one with the shutter one stop faster, and one with the shutter one stop slower), do the same in different light and at different angles then start with the photo shop and I believe more codes will be visible.

Bracketing your exposures allows areas that are darker to receive more exposure and brighter areas to receive less exposure thus covering both sides as well as the middle.

Shutting down the lens F-stop requires that the shutter be open longer which allows more light to reach the imaging chip which allows for more detail...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa