Author Topic: Do You Really "Feel" the Road Better With Manual?  (Read 15997 times)

red69

• View Profile
Re: Do You Really "Feel" the Road Better With Manual?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2006, 02:03:02 PM »
My son has a 67 standard Camaro with power. I have a 69Z with manual. To me the 67 power is too effortless, I prefer the manual on my 69. But I only put about 200 miles a year on my 69. When I was 20 and it was my daily driver the steering effort didn't bother me at all, now that I'm 51 it may, if I drove it more.  My 73Z has what I believe Chevrolet refered to as variable ratio power and to me it has a better feel of the road.        Hope this helps Pat

aaronz28

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 02:39:18 PM »
i've had 3 Zs (2 were manual and 1 was power steerint)

the 1st z seemed to have a pretty effortess manual steering,  much like my 64 Corvettes manual steering..

the Z i hav now came with manual, and I coudln't take it anymore... either it wasn't rebuilt properly, or those E70x15s really grab the road..

i put power steering on the car just as John Z did (in fact our cars are almost sister companions as the only difference is I have an endura front bumper and delux seat belts with Standard interior, and his has delux interior with standard seatbelts. Aside from a few other differnces, I too couldn't take the manual steering in this car and coverted it over with all factory parts as well....

can you feel the road better?  I don't see how, the power steering is much more responsive to me and turns on a dime.

Aaronl

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 03:51:46 AM »
I have manual steering in both my 68 and 69 Camaros. I guess I can feel the road better but it might just be me anticipating (paying more attention to) upcoming turns because of the effort. Its no wonder the steering wheels crack. The 68's manual drum brakes don't bother me much. I would rather have power steering in both but the 69 is sort of unique without it, having a/c... and a cracked steering wheel. :)

John.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 01:29:32 PM »
So, this really is a subjective issue...

I've commented before on this site about driving a 69 Camaro a few years ago that had been modified and a new Vette steering system, etc. now graced the front end.  I thought I would like it... But I HATED it.  It was way too jerky!

I've got my own "theory" about the steering feel of all the so-called coke bottle style bodies of the 60s --manual or power steering.  I think the feel has a "floating" sensation to it.  It seems more pronounced in the Mustang than in the Camaro.

Would still love to hear from some more of you...

BTW, JKZ27, I love your comment about the cracked steering wheel.  My theory about cracked steering wheels is most of them came from holding on tight when you pushed the gas peddle down to the floor.  ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director