Author Topic: are cowl and trim tags painted  (Read 63235 times)

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: are cowl and trim tags painted
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
So your saying there was a way to order a 69 Camaro without an engine, or was this just the guys at the plant getting together to make a car minus the engine?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »
I got curious because I remembered seeing several white tags in my 68 database, so I went back and checked, and sure enough, I have several early 68 Norwood tags that are painited white. A few are even black, but with white underneath! Here are two examples. The top on is white and the bottom one is white under the black.

Ed

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2013, 10:22:07 PM »
Oh John,
Help me out here... I have copies of the personnel records from Norwood.. Your name does not appear anyplace... Can you elaborate when you worked at Norwood?
I have been an interested spectator so far on this thread, but cannot believe the above post. Nobody has done more to share knowledge and insight with this community than JohnZ.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

1968 Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2013, 10:37:36 PM »
Oh John,

Help me out here... I have copies of the personnel records from Norwood.. Your name does not appear anyplace... Can you elaborate when you worked at Norwood?
I think that you will find that John Hinkley (aka John Z) didn't work on the assembly line at Norwood.....he was the plant manager at one time.
Jerry G.

Z28-1968-07C-Norwood
Ermine White, Red Std. Interior
2nd. Owner, 38,000 miles

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2013, 11:46:14 PM »
Oh John,

I'm at a total loss at what your trying to accomplish but you just blew it big time!  John Hinkley (aka JohnZ) is a highly respected person who has consistently assisted with information to so many car enthusiast for many years through many forums and NCRS, and was enshrined in the the Corvette hall of fame a few years ago. You had a thing going back and forth with primarily one member but unfortunately your know it all, read my book, phone call away, etc. has pretty much alienated the rest of us with your negative and improper come backs.

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

tar6569

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2013, 12:59:47 AM »
It was production related. And to see it , however because the workers resisted the new computer generated  "body broadcast" print out so the trim tag containing the option content was sprayed white to make it easier to see major option content at a glance.

Norwood had used the broadcast sheets in previous years, including a very similar form in 66 with the Impalas.  I'm curious as to why the workers all of a sudden resisted the broadcast sheets in 67?  Also, the white on the cowl tag has been seen on 65/66 Chevy fullsize cars from Norwood so they didn't start that practice in 67.  Is the B body/Chevy II production at Norwood for 65/66 covered at all in the book?
Warren

1964-1970 fullsize Chevrolet research

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2013, 01:28:29 AM »
 Guys.. Why jump to conclusions ?? It is really a simple question that John should be able to answer. ;D

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »
No, we're asking YOU. YOU wrote the book. YOU stared the rant. Why do you insist of side stepping the questions?? And don't say "buy the book" because so far what I've seen, your book has more holes in it than Swiss cheese.

If you can't defend your positions (and apparently you can't), then please don't keep spitting out the same old crud. You've lost most of your credibility already. You should probably keep quiet so as not to loose what little you have left.

Ed

festival

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2013, 01:52:43 AM »
Ed

Wow I must be on a nerve... Sorry about that guys.  Now why cannot John just answer the question?  What is the problem here gentlemen?

I am not worried about credibility at this point for very well supported reasons. ;D

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 04:53:54 AM »
I received a great piece of advice early in my business career...
Never argue with a fool he will drag you down to his level. 
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 12:50:14 PM »
I got curious because I remembered seeing several white tags in my 68 database, so I went back and checked, and sure enough, I have several early 68 Norwood tags that are painited white. A few are even black, but with white underneath! Here are two examples. The top on is white and the bottom one is white under the black.

Ed

Hi Ed,
  Interesting find for '68! As for the white under black tag, the one reason that comes to mind is maybe either the dealer or new owner blacked it out to eliminate the bright 'eye sore' from a free hand tag spray job. Is there black under the white if you clear paint off further? I suspect black will be there.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »
And Ed is the second one 09C?
I've seen a few very early 68 tags with white paint, but the white paint had generally deterioriated.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »
Phil, the second tag is a 09C as you suspected.

Mike, I have several that have white paint under the black, so I don't think it was a "one off". Your theory could be good, but there's probably no way we'll ever know for sure.

Here's another one. Originally an Ash Gold car. Note the white under the flaking black on the surrounding firewall.

Ed

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2013, 06:41:17 PM »
Oh John,

Somehow, in your never-ending quest for the truth, you apparently failed to check the visitor logbook from the front lobby desk where Chevrolet engineers signed in every day; you'll find my sign-ins in February and March, 1969, from the Chevrolet Pilot Line. Jim Seim, who contributed a TON of material for your book, will remember me, and my boss at the time from the Chevrolet Pilot Line (Jim Heise) was the Chief Inspector at Norwood.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2013, 07:30:42 PM »
festival

Where are these meetings and is anyone invited to attend?  Depending on the venue and my schedule I would be interested to hear what these guys have to say.

Oh, and it would be nice if you answered questions people asked you.

Nobody knows everything - but most of us are willing to learn. 
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

anything