Author Topic: are cowl and trim tags painted  (Read 63294 times)

z28rich

• View Profile
are cowl and trim tags painted
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:40:44 PM »
since my firewall is striped from paint. are the tags painted and if so,when do they get painted

Oaklyss

• View Profile
Re: are cowl and trim tags painted
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
My original paint, Van Nuys built, 69:

69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »
The tag is painted right along with the firewall all at the same time.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

z28rich

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
thank you  ;D

XP836

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »

I know this is an old topic/posts. I wanted to post so as to share,that others not make same mistake I did..(in 1979). I stripped a ugly white trim tag on my then just purchased 01A 1967 Norwood built Camaro . It was yellowed and dirty so thought I was doing good . Just found in festivals-norwood book , photo and story of how and why it was like that . Dang shame on me!

I could post a pic , but it just looks like every other one now. Wish I knew then what I know now .....phil

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 04:37:01 PM »
Not alll of the 67 Norwood tags were hit with that quick blast of white spray paint, some were, some weren't.  The paint was applied before, or just at the time the bodies got to the GM side, as none of the other components on the firewall (wiring harnesses, wiper motor, wire gutter, brake components, etc.)have any overspray on them.  The story of the guy with the bad eyesight is more than likely an urban myth (unless theres another story) repeated over time, and now true, just like the 67 and 69 Pacecars were shipped with the decals in the trunk.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

XP836

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 07:25:40 PM »

Eyesight ..lol .. never heard that one before. I`ll trust Mr. Borris on this one .

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 07:49:33 PM »
Then he has a different theory (not just him) than the one from a few years ago.  We're all ears.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
The real question is why did they stop the practice in 68 and 69?
Kurt S
CRG

XP836

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 08:47:49 PM »

Timing  of my 67 01A Norwood car . It was production related. And to see it , however because the workers resisted the new computer generated  "body broadcast" print out so the trim tag containing the option content was sprayed white to make it easier to see major option content at a glance. The 2 sheets in the photo , hang in the windshied (one body and one chassis.) That to me would be understandable . I worked in some of those factories in the 70`s and they pushed real hard on us grunts .Not having a special model such as a pace car ,Z/28,SS,RS,Lotta HP, or the like (my no options car.)  Seems silly to have wiped off something that otherwise dated it (to someone who was there) and a darn shame is all. I was just trying to share @ how trim tag paint story I had to offer to this thread . Echos of Norwood page 101, picture and caption.Photo is from General Motors Media Archives. Geessss throw a dog a bone for crying out loud!

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »
Thats a version of the guy with the poor eyesight story.  The only problem with that theory is that it was done post paint line, since that is when the body black on the firewall was painted onto the tub and the white e=overspray would have to of occurred after that, either in the trim shop, or even later as it went over to GM.  At the point the cowl was painted black all of the options Fisher had to add to the car were complete except the color and style of the interior.  There would have been no reason to even glance at the cowl tag at that point, since the interior would already be on the line in the sequence that the bodies were coming down the line.  And not every car has it.  I'm not a beleiver.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 09:49:54 PM »
 Hi Mark,

It seems likely to me to have been more of a visual aid to the assemblers during the post-Fisher body build phase for modifications to the Chevy installed front nose and other exterior drilling (SS,RS emblems, etc) that the white spray was done. By that time Fisher was done preparing the body for options they were responsible for installing or prepping for so any larger font printed documentation such as the UOIT that accompanied the structure build out was no longer needed and removed (well most removed) before going to Chevy. The white paint may have likely been an ad-hoc fix and applied at Chevy for complaints or possible missed preparations on the fast paced assembly line by the Chevy workers. Heck, I need glasses just to read the tiny fonts on my trim tag due to the black paint just standing still!  ;D

Just an observation.
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

XP836

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »
  :-[  well the point is it was done.can still be found like that.the story can live on .which version who cares? i have never seen one that wasn`t painted .page 101 picture is at body drop....
"since my firewall is striped from paint. are the tags painted and if so,when do they get painted "
that was the point of the thread .(when do) in a restoration topic is not when did!!whenever and whatever color you want mr. owner /restorer.pay no attention to talking heads going off topic,unless you need the entertainment.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 11:43:17 PM »
The only thing GM needed to see on the cowl tag (or the BBC hanging on the car is the body number, since that was the tie to the original dealer order that defined what options went on the car untilt GM assigned a VIN to it.  After that, there was no info anyone on the GM side needed. 

I've seen them as early as 11C in 66 all the way thru 06C in 67.  A lot in the 03C thru the end of the year, but intermittent thru out the rest of the time.  Not every original one has it, but its hard to tell if others that have had spraybomb engine compartment restorations have it.  They definitely had paint applied here and there and figuring out why is what is called RESEARCH.   There doesn't seem to be any obvious option associated with it, like every custom interior car got it, or every vinyl top car got on, or SS's and Z28's got it.   They also started doing it for a reason, and quit doing it for some reason, as there are none in 68 or 69 with white paint on them.  What changed in the process, again research, not anecdotal story telling.  I don't know why they did it, but I do know it did Fisher no good, by the time it was painted.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 11:50:42 PM »
Hi Mark,

The one reason I can think of for not seeing it after '67 is the following year trim tags weren't stamped with the large amount of option information as in '67.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

anything