Author Topic: $50k to spend on a Camaro. Which one would you pick this month  (Read 15613 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: $50k to spend on a Camaro. Which one would you pick this month
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 08:57:42 PM »
Perhaps I should have kept my mouth shut. After all who am I to say what wrong or right especially for someone else. Kurt would you please delete all my post from this thread?

Who are you? Someone with good practical knowledge from years of being aroudn these things and studying what you see. I think the post should stay.

To a degree every forum is a collection of experiences and YES opinions, some right some wrong but express properly there is a place for all of them. I will agree this forum is based a lot more in fact and research then most.

X2 Daniel, this was posted on General Discussion and sapple89 is looking for an open-ended opinion.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

sapple89

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 03:29:13 AM »
Yes, thats exactly what I was looking for. I ended up making a deal for that restamped z. Now i just need someone in columbus ohio to inspect it.

IZRSSS

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
Quote from the seller; The engine block had to be decked because of a mechanical issue and the engine code and vin were re-stamped on the block just as it came from the factory.

So what’s the deal with this engine guys? The sellers quote states the engine was re-stamped after the fact…re-stamped as it came from the factory. I had assumed this car was legit and I’m beginning to think otherwise. Is it or is it not a re-stamped block from the factory? Anything about this car in CRG’s archives’? If not, I'll have to side with Daniel on this one...

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 11:53:11 AM »
The person states "as it came from the factory", not that the factory restamped it. Since when did the factory stamp a block, then deck and restamp it if it had issues? I don't infer from his statement the seller is implying the factory performed the procedure.

IZRSSS

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 01:04:48 PM »
Since when did the factory stamp a block, then deck and restamp it if it had issues?  

I have two examples in my files of e-pads ground and re-stamped from the factory. Both verified here…

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 01:20:44 PM »
Since when did the factory stamp a block, then deck and restamp it if it had issues?  

I have two examples in my files of e-pads ground and re-stamped from the factory. Both verified here…

Reground and restamped or decked and restamped? The seller says his block was decked. I still don't think the seller is trying to convey the factory performed the decking and restamping procedure. I suppose prospective buyers would pick up the phone and speak to him directly to clarify his meaning if it's ambiguous to them. Plenty of blocks and parts out there with restamps that are not done with fraudulent intentions. And there are those that are meant for that purpose of course.

mopar346

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »
A restamp is a restamp. If I have follow a few things correctly then a factory restamp is a ground off incorrect stamp and restamped not a DECK and restamp, just the pad is ground off. Not a favorable situation but if verified/documented it is what it is. As far as I decked it and stamp it back exactly as it was..............................right. Only with time stamped photography (which can be faked to a degree) would I even begin to buy that line. "Well why would I lie?" about 10,000 reasons. Not saying the seller isn't telling the truth, just cant be 100% sure, much less the next guy and the next, "well the guy I bought it from said he stamped it back exactly". Unfornately too much money riding on it to take a chance. If you like a car and like a price then buy it, if you are paying a premium for things like options, trim levels and number then verify them BEYOND ANY question.

Kinda like an engine or tranny you cant see work/check the vituals/inspect, just assume it's a core and pay accordingly.  

IZRSSS

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
Fair enough. Maybe I have just been reading all the wrong threads because this is the first time in the ~2yrs I’ve been on this site that anyone has referred to decking an engine as anything other than altering its pad. Thanks for learnin me…

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »
Quote from the seller; The engine block had to be decked because of a mechanical issue and the engine code and vin were re-stamped on the block just as it came from the factory.

So what’s the deal with this engine guys? The sellers quote states the engine was re-stamped after the fact…re-stamped as it came from the factory. I had assumed this car was legit and I’m beginning to think otherwise. Is it or is it not a re-stamped block from the factory? Anything about this car in CRG’s archives’? If not, I'll have to side with Daniel on this one...

Here is how I interpreted it after reading it once....
The engine block had to be decked because of a mechanical issue... as it states to fix a problem. I don't believe it means at the factory because there is no way for us to know what happened back then to this block, if anything.
...and the engine code and vin were re-stamped on the block just as it came from the factory this clearly tells me the stamps are redone to be what the factory fonts looked like and correct codes. I admire the seller for being up front with this info. Gents; IMHO think too much is being read into this description.

Personally if I had $50K to spend and I wanted a Z but could not afford the high price of one with the original engine (and tranny) and it had a correct period dated block and other parts and properly restamped and the car itself was real, then I would pay the lower fair price for that. To me, it's not to cheat the nexy guy because I don't resell my cars and if I did I would make it clear the block was restored including the stamps because I know the legal ramifications that can happen otherwise. Why would I accept a restamped? We all have our own reasons but for me It would be my attempt to own a piece of history restored a close to as it existed back then (may as roll in the overspray, dated plug wires, glass hose clamps...etc). That's just me.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
Blocks weren't "re-decked" at the factory. A block could only go through the deck broach machine once - if the deck broach revealed a problem in the casting (porosity, etc.), the block was scrapped. Occasionally there was an error in the machine code stamping on the pad or engines originally built for one suffix usage were converted to another suffix usage (usually just a distributor or exhaust manifold change), and the original stamp was "ground-out" and re-stamped, but that didn't happen very often.

Photo below shows a typical engine plant "grindout" and restamp; it was done with a hand-held 3" air-powered grinding wheel, only on the end of the pad where the machine code was stamped.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

IZRSSS

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »
I'm sorry but I can't see 35K for a restamp block and original transmission gone.

I agree with you Daniel! This has always been my opinion on re-stamps & its not about to change now just because this car happens to be a Z. I assumed there were some sort of provisions with this car but obviously that wasn't the case.

IZRSSS

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 10:20:18 PM »
Blocks weren't "re-decked" at the factory. A block could only go through the deck broach machine once - if the deck broach revealed a problem in the casting (porosity, etc.), the block was scrapped. Occasionally there was an error in the machine code stamping on the pad or engines originally built for one suffix usage were converted to another suffix usage (usually just a distributor or exhaust manifold change), and the original stamp was "ground-out" and re-stamped, but that didn't happen very often.

Photo below shows a typical engine plant "grindout" and restamp; it was done with a hand-held 3" air-powered grinding wheel, only on the end of the pad where the machine code was stamped.

John- as usual your explanation and tact is second to none. Above all you manage to get your point across w/o the risk of sounding degrading or condescending. Much appreciated! 

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
'decking' by a machine shop (typically during an engine rebuild) is done predominantly for two reasons:   1) to reduce deck height (and increase compression, or 2) to 'clean up' the head-mating surface, ie. make it flatter/more consistent to reduce/eliminate possibility of a head gasket issue.   For 'racing purposes', decking is also sometimes used to 'true' the deck or deck height from end to end or inside to outside.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan