Author Topic: Headers too low...  (Read 11823 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
Headers too low...
« on: June 19, 2006, 09:56:35 PM »
If anyone has the same issue and can offer some advice please let me know:

Basically, my headers seem to hang really low. Specifically the driver side. I want to upgrade my brakes and possibly lower the look about 1-2" but It seems impossible due to the low hanging headers. I have bottomed out on a bumpy road a few times and that scrap sound is tough to handle if you know what I mean!!

My initial thought is to get some advice on headers that sit higher at the collector gasket point and put a good pair of disc brakes and a lower spindle?

Any help on the header problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Headers too low...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 03:25:32 AM »
I can tell you that Hedman Husler Hedders hug the floorpan well--they tuck up even with the bottom of the subframe. Hookers do, too, but both are expensive. My '68 sits low all around with a forward rake, and I've scraped my headers on more speed bumps than I care to recall lol. It's just the curse (or great power advantage) of headers. You live with it and take speed bumps crossways (chuckle.) My car has never bottomed out at speed, though. You may have some weak springs. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 10:34:43 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Yea, my shocks are pathetic and will be upgraded soon but I wanted to roll out some new front brakes, wheels, tires and did not want to make a huge mistake in clearance when it’s all done with those low riding headers.

Nick P.

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:54:33 PM »
I have Flowtech headers on my 67 Camaro. They hung the frame really nice. The biggest problem I have will be if I have problems or ever have to change the starter. I will have to drop drivers side header to replace it. I agree that you may have look at replacing your springs and shocks to get the cirrect stance back.

DAB67

anything