CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 08:42:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
104497 Posts in 12235 Topics by 4716 Members
Latest Member: Hgtech
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  sway bar bushing replacement
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: sway bar bushing replacement  (Read 241 times)
crobjones2

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »

I am in the midst of replacing my sway bar to frame bushings on my 69 , but no matter how I install them, it just doesn't look right
I have the later year mounts(with fingers).
any pointers? does the narrower slip under the top? is it supposed to just squish, leaving an oval for the bar to sit in? do I need to cut something?
Thank you for the help

Chris
69 SS 350
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 01:12:53 PM »

<<  am in the midst of replacing my sway bar to frame bushings on my 69 , but no matter how I install them, it just doesn't look right
I have the later year mounts(with fingers).
any pointers? does the narrower slip under the top? is it supposed to just squish, leaving an oval for the bar to sit in? do I need to cut something?
Thank you for the help >>

You install the bushing around the sway bar, install the bracket first with extra-long bolts and the bar ends connected with the link bolts to the lower control arms, then replace the extra-long bolts one at a time with the correct shorter bolts. The plant used a compression fixture on the brackets so they could use the shorter bolts.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
crobjones2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:37:02 PM »

this is what i get

Chris
69 SS 350
ZLP955

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:03:10 PM »

Interesting installation description from John, how much longer do the temporary bolts need to be?
Chris, just a thought but are your new bushings definitely correct? There were 2 different anti-sway bar diameters, and (from memory) the 2 different frame mounting brackets (fingers, no fingers) required different sized bushings too, so at least 4 combinations......

Tim - New South Wales, Australia
04A VN '69 z/28 69-69 715 ex-E/MP
janobyte

1968 z/28

bajcer@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:17:34 PM »

from your pic it looks like the wrong diameter. Be it a 69 Z or a Focus ,suppose to be snug. Your not doing anything wrong ,looks like wrong part. Get an ID measurement of the bushing (old one) and OD of your sway bar.
crobjones2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 04:05:08 AM »

These are the bushins that are supposed to be correct for the bracket with the fingers.  I have gotten two sets from different vendors and they are exactly the same. I also picked up a set for the other bracket and it is very obvious they are incorrect

Chris
69 SS 350
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: