Original Cam cast #3849347, part #3849346
Couple of questions:
1) Couldn't find a part number stamped anywhere, is there and did I overlook it ?
2) Like the crank, a yellow paint band brushed around it, why did GM do this ?
3) The 3 bolts marked "N" on the heads look original. I know GM used several suppliers, so is there a list of all possible bolts GM used during assembly on all parts ?
1. You won't find a part number - only the core casting number (which was unique to each Chevy camshaft, to minimize required machining).
2. Painted band was for quick in-process identification (vs. reading the casting number).
3. Various Corvette publications and NCRS Judging Guides call out the most common expected headmarks to be seen on each fastener application. For Camaros, do you have Jerry MacNeish's book?
I just received Jerry's Definitive 4th edition a few days ago and just started reading. Great info and thanks, I'll check it out.