Interesting blog from someone who is in the know.
Name: Rick Carey
Auctions Editor of Car Collector and Victory Lane magazines. Reporting on the collector car auction market since 1991. Editor of Car Collector's Online Market Journal www.ccomj.com
. For more see www.rickcarey.com
His blog this subject:
Friday, February 02, 2007
The Barrett-Jackson Rumor Mill, Again
It’s no wonder Craig Jackson sometimes acts paranoid. How many times does Barrett-Jackson have to deal with uninformed rumors?
We’re still putting down the “the Futurliner didn’t sell for $4 million” stories, a year after the $3,680,000 (that’s the $4 million hammer bid less the 8% seller’s commission) wire transfer landed in Montreal.
This week it was “did you hear about the class action against B-J? It’s all over the Internet.”
Well, no I hadn’t, so I went looking.
I found someone named Sam Barer’s posting on his blog. A wide-ranging rant, it started off by accusing B-J of fraud (“some hobbyists are claiming a worst [sic]: fraud”), which must have gotten Mr. Jackson’s attention. Then there it was, Barer says someone “has filed papers with the court” and “this is already being discussed as translating into class-action status.”
Sam claims to be “a collector car journalist” who has “been watching the Barrett-Jackson auction for years.”
From reading his rambling posting it didn’t even appear that he was at B-J, much less on the block where he might have become aware of what goes on there so to find out I called the phone number for his company’s “Business Office.”
I reached Sam at home.
Not only wasn’t Sam at Barrett-Jackson this year, he’s never been to Barrett-Jackson at all. He has been “watching the Barrett-Jackson auction” though. On SPEED Channel. He watched the whole thing, he said – except for the parts he missed. And he “knows people” who’ve bought and sold cars at Barrett-Jackson.
When pressed, Sam admitted that he didn’t know if a suit had been filed. He further allowed that the “class action” was complete conjecture.
This is pathetic. Barrett-Jackson (and Craig Jackson and even Keith Martin who came in for his share of Barer-bashing) has been taking flack from someone who hasn’t any firsthand knowledge of what went on at Barrett-Jackson in 2007 (or any other year). He’s just dishing out recirculated rumors, then piling surmise and conjecture on top of them.
Barrett-Jackson has now issued a statement dealing with Mr. Barer’s rumors and surmise. The statement is clear, concise and factual, unlike the rambling rant that prompted it.
In the case of the lawsuit/class action rumor, there is no “there” there.
Craig Jackson isn’t the one who is paranoid.
February 2, 2007
Labels: barrett-jackson, collector car auction
posted by Rick Carey at 3:12 PM 0 comments