Author Topic: GM Mark of Excellence Decal  (Read 12128 times)

joesauer

• View Profile
GM Mark of Excellence Decal
« on: July 18, 2009, 03:50:17 PM »
Follow up to an earlier question on the Mark Of Excellence Decal.  I understand most/all 68's did not have the decals.  I'm helping a friend with a 67' RS & he wants to put the Decal(s) on.  In photos/books/e Bay postings we see many different locations on the door jamb.  Some show the bottom of the decal level with the screw.  Some show the decal between the door latch & the screw.  What would be correct.  Regarding my 68 SS.  Have a Muncie M21, but it has a white shift lever ball...thought the correct was black with a chrome base.  Any help would be appreciated.

68Zproject

• View Profile
Re: GM Mark of Excellence Decal
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 05:50:57 PM »
.thought the correct was black with a chrome base.  Any help would be appreciated.

W/console=chrome ball no shift pattern.  W/out console=black two piece ball with shift pattern on ball.
68Z28

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 02:16:08 PM »
You should visit the AIM to see which decals were included and where they go. If it isn't shown there, it wasn't supposed to be installed there.

LOTS of improperly restored cars out there that show the GM decals wrong. I also own a Camaro reference book with lots of improperly restored car pictures in it so even there you need to use the AIM to get it 100% right.

-Mark.

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 09:52:49 PM »
Hey guys, I have done a little reading on the GM door sticker and I know this has been talked to death but the thing is GM did give those stickers out to dealers and some dealers did put them on Camaros before they went to their new homes. Factory installed no. Dealer installed sometimes. They were not always on both doors and they were bulky and often times fell off. On original paint cars you can sometimes see the square outline of it. If your dealer put one on, in my opinion it adds a bit to it. Just my 2 cents.

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 10:16:40 PM »
Safety wise I like to have the decal as it is reflective when a car is coming up from behind you if you are getting out. If that worries anyone at all. I added them to my 68 because they are easy to remove to return to factory. Keep in mind that I do not enter shows with it either.
68 07D SS350
John

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:26:05 PM »
  I'm not questioning anybodies answer on this subject.  69houdini's reply might be most accurate.  I just finished (well almost) restoring my 11A LOS built 67 Coupe.  It  had what really appeared to be original GM Decals on the backs of both Doors.  The Decals were somewhat faded, and the backs of the doors had never been painted.  The complete rest of the car appeared mostly original (unrestored).  I'm just sayin', 69houdini's explanation might be the most accurate.  For me, they were there, so they're going back on.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 11:59:49 PM »
 Attached are the left and right side GM metal (aluminum ?) badges on my LOS 4B survivor (including paint).
On the left side you can still see the dealer service stickers glue.
If you can approximate the location by looking at the pictures that should get you close being they were put on by hand.
If you need measurements then I can get them for you.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

BlackoutSteve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 03:03:47 AM »
The location would have had to have changed when the VIN decal was being applied from August (?) as the tire pressure decal would have left no room for the GM decal.
Something I read once suggested that many had been applied quite low on the door, but as it's most likely a dealer installed thing, anything goes. How many different GM individuals around the country put them where each thought was the best location?
..and who's to say that the many that look like they have there since Day 1, weren't installed by the owner on Day 2. ..or 3 .. or 4!.. 40 years later, there is just no way of knowing.
They've been for sale for a loong time.
Restoring my RHD 69 Jane in Melbourne, Australia.
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
The location would have had to have changed when the VIN decal was being applied from August (?) as the tire pressure decal would have left no room for the GM decal.

The VIN label (certification label) started in August of 1969, and the factory-applied GM Mark of Excellence sticker only went on 1967 Camaros.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 09:09:13 PM »
Most Impala guys say 64 to early 67 on those decals.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

anything