Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Restoration / Re: bellhousing alignment-any new info?
« Last post by GMAD_Van Nuys on Today at 05:24:13 PM »
There are dial indicators with magnetic bases that are relatively inexpensive and available from a number of sources.  I've ordered items from Summit Racing and gotten everything quickly:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-900016-1?seid=srese1&ppckw=pmax-tools
« Last post by JST69Z28 on Today at 05:11:13 PM »
M20, and when I put one in 20 years ago the needle bearing was recommended to me at that time over the bushing, and reading the CRG report it also says to use the needle bearing.   
« Last post by Sauron327 on Today at 04:36:34 PM »
The CRG article only addresses concentric alignment and not parallel. Both should be measured. Parallel affects concentric readings. I have a large box of shims for parallel adjustment. Jody's Transmissions will not warranty his trannys without this procedure being documented. You can buy a small shim kit from him instead of a large box I have. Jody sent me the instructions in PDF. If you get a kit from him he can send it to you, as well as answer any questions. He has offset dowels if you do end up needing them, is great to deal with and did a M22Z for a job of mine. I use a dial indicator to check alignment.
What tranny are you running and why a needle pilot bearing instead of a bronze pilot?
Restoration / bellhousing alignment-any new info?
« Last post by JST69Z28 on Today at 01:44:58 PM »
I removed the transmission in my 69 Z28 to replace seals and found the pilot bearing had failed.  See photo, the needles are mostly gone and it was dry.  I installed a new clutch 20 years ago and had no noticeable vibrations or any other problems.  I read the CRG bellhousing alignment report and any other posts I could find on the subject.  Is the bearing failure a common problem?  Should I look into purchasing the alignment tool to check?  I have never checked it.

I called Browell, and they are backordered for 2 weeks on the tool.  Cost is now $160, and they sell adjustable dowels for 36.80/pr.

Has anything changed in the past few years in the way of new tools or inspection processes that I should know about?  Any recommendations?  I do have a QuickJack to raise the car 1-2 feet, but for the most part will be on my back doing this.  Thanks for any advice.
Originality / Re: Misc markings and labels
« Last post by vetteskip on Today at 01:08:28 AM »
While degreasing the bellhousing, I came across a yellow R on the side. I haven't seen this before, not sure what this refers to.
Originality / Re: Wiper motor stamping
« Last post by 169INDY on May 16, 2024, 07:31:03 PM »
^^ Notice the Heat from the pior owners headers melted a corner on my take of unit on left.
LoL!
« Last post by 169INDY on May 16, 2024, 07:29:57 PM »
Is the 67 cover the same as 68?

You see thousands of these at various swap meets
« Last post by Charley PHX on May 16, 2024, 06:18:34 PM »
Good catch on the cover. The one pictured in your #29 looks just like picture in the Legends manual. I seem to recall rebuilding pump, VERY long time ago (probably late 1970's???) ...maybe a replacement cover? (hmm... have to look into this)
Originality / Re: trunk mat
« Last post by RAfbody on May 16, 2024, 12:14:05 AM »
I got one from them last year for my 67 coupe and I was happy with it. It fit well with extra material that I tucked under the fuel filler shield.
Originality / Re: trunk mat
« Last post by David K on May 15, 2024, 07:10:25 PM »
Pretty sure there is 1 supplier for most of the reproduction parts in most cases. You'll have to make the best of it. Take your time and trim it Pretty.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10